Coopers Community

Suggestions for some recipes.

Hi

I'd like to brew something darker, something like White rabbit dark ale, or a Porter, Holgate Temptress something I like and J squire porter is nice too.

I think it would be perfect timing to do this now sice they need 6 months in the bottle.

However, most of the recipes I have seen are full grain recipes. Not up to that yet. I boil hop and steep grain at this point but use kit.

Can anybody suggest a recipe?

Hi Chris,

I found a recipe on this forum I think it was for the White Rabbit type dark ale, as follows:

1.5kg Coopers Dark Liquid Malt

1.5kg Coopers Wheat Liquid Malt

200g Dextrose

200g Victory Malt

200g Medium Crystal Malt

100g Pale Chocolate Malt

25g Target Hops (10%AA) @ 40 min

20g Cascade Hops (5%AA) @ 10 min

US-05 yeast

23 litres

I haven't actually made it myself yet, I had planned it but kept getting sidetracked[lol], but if you're up to the point of boiling hops and steeping grains then this recipe shouldn't be too much hassle. Maybe even your first full extract brew? [joyful]

As for Holgate Temptress, I don't really know how I'd go about making a similar one, however I have tried it before and absolutely loved it, that stuff is divine. Also agree about the J Squire porter.

No worries[biggrin] There was no dry hop mentioned on that recipe. However I have a secondary recipe that has 15g of Cascade dry hopped on day 4, so you could always do that as well if you wanted to. I don't really think it's unusual not to dry hop necessarily, it's more a personal preference to me, I rarely do it myself, but other guys do it every time. I will have to conduct some experiments on identical recipes, one dry hopped, one not, just to see what sort of difference it makes. It's your choice really!

The recipe in Post #3 is one of mine.

I think it is a really nice drop but it isn't a White Rabbit Dark Ale clone.

If you take that recipe and increase the late hops and also dry hop then you will get something a little closer.

Archived