Coopers Community

Honey Wheat Beer

KateM5

First of all, sorry if this topic is redundant.

I've been wanting making a honey wheat beer and I'm a little unsure of how to incorporate the honey into the website recipe (1.7kg can wheat beer mix, light dry malt, dextrose). Should I substitute the dextrose for the honey or just add 325g~ honey on top of the other fermentables? I figure including both might make it more alcoholic since it gives the yeast more to chew on, but would I have to mature it more? If so, how much longer approximately would it take for the brew to be ready?

Thanks in advance for any input :)

Depending on the honey you are using you can just pour it in (with the hot water) provided it has been pasteurised. I wouldn't bother subbing the dex out as it is only 300g anyway.

No it won't take longer to mature, if by that you actually mean ferment.

Leave in the fermenter for 2 weeks and Robert's your brother's uncle. It will have reached FG before then but best to leave a little longer.

Granted, Honey is antibacterial. However, it does not negate a situation such as:

If you collect your own honey or buy honey from a beekeeper then there is the possibility of foreign bodies etc in it. The Honey is antibacterial but what might/could get in it is not.

You can chance it or not... it all depends how hygienic you want to be and how much risk you want to take with your brewing.

Archived