Coopers Community

ANZAC IPA

Hi brewsters, I've just put this down and wondering what y'all think....

I'm aiming for a lower alcohol beer cos every other one I've made was 5.5%

1.5 kg Coopers Amber Malt

1kg DME

200g Med. Crystal

30g Galaxy flowers @ 40 mins

10g Galaxy flowers @ 20 mins

20g Nelson Sauvin pellets @ 10mins

Danstar Windsor yeast

21 L

OG was 1.043 - which is what IanH's spreadsheet suggested it would be.

Plan to dry hop with 10g galaxy flowers and 10g Nelson Sauvin pellets when the krausen goes down. HOPSES [love]

Should be around 55 IBU's and acomohol approx. 4.1% once bottled.

Am hoping it's not too bitter for the lower alcohol

Hi Adam,

It looks to me to be a nice brew. I have never used Galaxy hop before. What was there AA%. Using mostly Amber malt along with some Crystal grains should bring the balance up to suite the bitterness althought 55 IBUS is a good ol' wack of hops. I've used Nelson Sauvin and like it in the brews I've made. I has a wine like effect/flavour that is quite nice and unique. I find it combines nicely with citrus/fruity style hops and with oak chips![love] Your choice in the Danstar Windsor is an interesting choice combined with the not so English hop styles.[surprised

I'm becoming a fan of full body and flavoured beer low on the ABV% side as I seem to get into more then I really should.[annoyed]

Let us know how it turns out.

Hola everyone.

I'll post the FG and the approximately real ABV once it's done.

RE the AA% - I think they're 12.5% - the galaxy pellets I have are 14.5% I think, like Philbo, but I wanted to use up the flowers. I went for the 40 min boil as I'd heard a few people say the high AA hops like galaxy can be harsh if boiled for too long.

Nelson is fantastic - used it in Weggl's Amber Yak (plus I dry hopped that mofo) and every single person who tries it goes [w00t] [w00t] [w00t]

The reason I went with the english instead of american yeast was so it had the fruity yeast character as well as the hops. I will find out if the choice was a bad one in about 5 weeks [lol]

Lastly, I forgot to say the temp is set to 20 [devil]

• 2 weeks later...

I bottled this on Sunday - FG was 1.015 (which it achieved after 3 days) so ABV before bottling is approx. 3.6% (sound right) = so approx. 4.1% in the bottle?

I dry hopped at day 3 once the krausen died down. It was in the FV for 2 weeks total.

Racked to secondary and bulk primed with 128g of Dextrose.

It's nice and bitter, and very florally. Looking forward to tasting.

• 3 weeks later...

First test tonight and [love]

Very hoppy, but not so much on the bitterness (it's meant to be around 55!!)- I think the Nelsons may be overpowering the bitterness. Will have to up it next time [devil]

But, I think the combination of Galaxy and Nelson seems to be a good one! Got the tick of approval from SWMBO too!

I think definitely a full strength IPA would be better (around 5.5% - 6%)

Hiya AdamH.

Nice recipe.

I think you'll find that your final ABV is closer to 4.8% due to the fact you brewed to 21 litres, & bottled, as against force carbonating through kegging. The secondary ferment of priming sugar should add approx. 0.5% to your final ABV calculations.

Nice try at a low alcohol beer though! [lol] [tongue] [lol]

Beer.

Hiya AdamH.

I think you'll find that your final ABV is closer to 4.8% due to the fact you brewed to 21 litres, & bottled, as against force carbonating through kegging. The secondary ferment of priming sugar should add approx. 0.5% to your final ABV calculations.

Certainly a mid strength based on the SG readings 1.043 down to 1.015 and the amount of dextrose (128g) used to bulk prime. The 0.5% added for bottling is reliant on the method (bulk priming vs bottle priming) and the amount of sugar added. In this case add 0.3%. So I reckon its 3.9%, but that depends on Adam\u2019s accuracy with the SG readings, spreadsheet suggests 4.5%.

Archived