Coopers Community

Extra Strong Vintage

Found this on the internet might make this the next project, Thought it was worth a post (If not already) Coopers nails it as always.

EXTRA STRONG VINTAGE ALE

MAKES 21 LITRES

INGREDIENTS

1.7kg Australian Pale Ale beer kit

1.7kg Real Ale beer kit

1kg dextrose

30g Nelson Sauvin hop pellets

Commercial Coopers Ale yeast (or both sachets of kit yeast)

METHOD

1. Dissolve the kits and dextrose in four litres of hot water.

2. Fill with cool water to the 21L mark and stir vigorously.

3. Stir in the wet yeast or sprinkle on the dry yeast.

4. Enclose the hops in a mesh bag and place on top of the brew.

5. Seal and try to ferment at 18\xb0C.

6. Bottle once the SG readings are stable over a couple of days and prime at the normal rate.

Benny you could have found that exact same recipe in the "How to Brew" section on this website.

Since you are new to this and feel like experimenting, have a look there for some inspiration.

Hey Benny don't feel bad lol, this forum, as are most, isn't the easiest to find what you want, it lacks a decent search function. I haven't seen this recipe before but its nearly exactly the same as one I came up with myself, different hop schedule and a little less dextrose.

And doesn't seem to matter what you post here, you will be ducking some ones left.

Post whatever questions you want because it's hard to find the info you want when you need it here.

I'm sure the brew gods that circle this forum will be able to answer what ever question you have. They are actually good guys, some are just a little one eyed in their processes. Myself, one of the most enjoyable things about brewing is the different ways we all use to get to a nice beer, and that's all that matters, a nice beer. The end product. We all have different tools and ingredients to use and what ever works for you, is the process for you! We'll all give our different ways of doing things, it's your job to work out what is the best way for you. Never be afraid to ask anything no matter how much some may give you grief. Brew on! Cheerz Mate 17

Thats it now you've done it, i'm having an emotional moment LOL [lol]. Thanks heaps Gash muchly appreciated. Learnt so much in the past couple of days on here and considering i'm only onto my second brew, things are travelling just nicely. Everyone deserves masses of accolades, has made my brewing experience all the more worth while! [happy]

Benny, sorry if my post sounded abrupt.

It's good to see someone new to brewing with that "kid in a candy store" enthusiasm.

I was just trying to point you in the direction of the recipes on this website. I didn't know if you had come across them yet as from the heading "How to Brew" there is no mention of recipes.

Good luck with your next brews...keep us posted with your successes. [cool]

Found this on the internet might make this the next project' date=' [/quote']

Way to go Benny.

I remember well how I couldn't get enough brews down, oh that's right it's still the case. If you brew the ESVA it is going to interupt your tasting schedule as it takes longer to condition. I first tasted mine at 6 months and I thought it was tooo bitter. At eight months it goes down much smoother. You may be advantaged by picking up another fermenter (the Coopers DIY would be a good option) I have one of the older types that I used with an alcoholic GB (these really slow down the production line) and when it warms up I plan to put an all extract brew into this one (I only have one heat pad).

Anyway my advice is to put down a few brews from "how to brew" before branching out further. My worst brew so far is my Real Fat Yak and it ended up more bitter (to the taste) than the ESVA, the good thing is that time is also being kind to this brew.

I have my second one on the go, The coopers lager next so that's approx 90 bottles i'll have before I attempt the ESVA. Hopefully that would tide me over till I put the next one down. This poof fermenter will be claiming overtime. My plan is for at least the next 6 months until the first one is totally ripe is to non stop brew. That way the supply will be aged enough by the time I aettempt to drink it ( That's a lie, this all sounds good in writting) though i'm the most inpatient person so by 2 months i'll be buying a second setup to keep up LOL. The ageing process is going to kill me Nelson LOL [lol]

I am a huge fan of the ESVA.

I normally make it with a 20g Amarillo and 20g Nelson Sauvin combo and it is always a winner at my place. I always used the commercial yeast and it has that coopers taste with a little oomph from the dry hopping.

This is one of the brews (the other is the two can stout) which I secondary as well. Good stuff.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I just mixed the ESVA, with 15g of Fuggles and 15g Williamette boiled for 15 mins, pitched @ 22.

I made a special wooden supported rack thingy in my insulated garage roof today, so my new ESVA, once bottled can happily live up there till my birthday next year [devil]

Cheers,

Parrot

Now that's bad spell check, poof should have been POOR I assure you LOL, well what to say. mmmmmmmmm. Haven't done the ESVA by the way, have a Lager in at the moment while the weather is cold. [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent] [innocent]

.....fermenter will be claiming overtime. My plan is for at least the next 6 months until the first one is totally ripe is to non stop brew. ......[lol]

Ha good luck with that Benny [lol]

When I started I had the same non-stop brewing mission. I was putting one down every 10 days. That is nearly 12 months ago, first brew went down on 11/09/2011, and my fermenter still hasn't been empty. The only change is that all my brews now stay in the FV for 2 weeks. But worse still someone gave me an old style FV and right now I have two Brews down, a Fruit Salad Mexican and an English Pale Ale. For some unknown reason I have asked for another DIY kit for Father's Day [bandit]. I really should be concentrating on another 3 kegs, a chesty and a second gas bottle.

Brewing is like OCD or Kleptomania [ninja]

That way the supply will be aged enough by the time I aettempt to drink it ( That's a lie' date=' this all sounds good in writting) though i'm the most inpatient person so by 2 months i'll be buying a second setup to keep up LOL. [lol']

Benny, your intentions are good, but if you are anything like me my brews seem to dissappear before they get old enough to be at their best. I can certainly recomend a second unit, I now have 2 FVs on the go all the time and have started getting some good aged beers around me now. Had to get more bottles as well [bandit]

Good luck!!!

Well clearly it looks like im the majority FOR A CHANGE! LOL. No i'm definately not letting them age any where near long enough, but i'll let you convince SWMBO that I need a 2nd FV, she already asking me to maybe give it a break I have too many bottles. I think she is forgetting that 50 stubbies of cats piss (CERVEZA)[sick] are hers!

Archived