Coopers Community

I.P.A.

Good evening,

I am constructing an All Extract IPA, using some Aussie & Kiwi hops & wan't to run the recipe by you all.

I ran all ingredients through Brewmate (Thanks to all for the recomendation), but would like to hear whether it'll "work"[innocent]

1.5 KG liquid LME

2 KG DME

300Gm crystal (not too sure of colour, doesn't say on pack)

300gm Dex

100gm choc malt

25g Pacific Jade @ 30 min

15g Galaxy @20min

15g Nelson Sauvin @20 min

10g Galaxy @10 min

10g Nelson Sauvin @10 min

Coopers Ale yeast Or US-05

Ummm, I think thats all!!

Please let me know what ya reckon!

Good evening,

I am constructing an All Extract IPA, using some Aussie & Kiwi hops & wan't to run the recipe by you all.

I ran all ingredients through Brewmate (Thanks to all for the recomendation), but would like to hear whether it'll "work"[innocent]

1.5 KG liquid LME

2 KG DME

300Gm crystal (not too sure of colour, doesn't say on pack)

300gm Dex

100gm choc malt

15g Galaxy @20min

15g Nelson Sauvin @20 min

10g Galaxy @10 min

Coopers Ale yeast Or US-05

Ummm, I think thats all!!

Please let me know what ya reckon!

How many IBU's are you heading for? Have you got any 'C' hops? Cascade or Centennial would work well in this..

something like..

10g Cascade @20min

10g Galaxy @20min

10g Nelson Sauvin @20 min

10g Cascade @10min

10g Galaxy @10 min

Dry hop Cascade at half way through ferment.

IMO you could do with a 'C' hop in there to round out the Galaxy and Nelson... those 2 together in large amounts can be pretty dominating.

Never used Pacific Jade as a bittering so cant comment.

Yob

Thanks Yob!

IBU's according to Brewmate are around 56

Total volume 23L

I do have lot's of Cascade, but wanted to keep it Aussie/Kiwi.

Do you think Motueka (approx 7%aa) would work in place of the Cascade you are suggesting yob?

I do have lot's of Cascade, but wanted to keep it Aussie/Kiwi.

Do you think Motueka (approx 7%aa) would work in place of the Cascade you are suggesting yob?

I would be thinking it would be ok. Amarillo or Centennial would be sublime but since its to be a Aussie/NZ beer maybe not.

If your making Aussie or NZ Ale then leave out the US-05 yeast (being US).

Now hold onto your chair... Ive not used Motueka [pinched] I do however have a brew planned with it and NS and I do have a bag of them in the freezer...

Id not be worried about mixing up the hops and Id also still use US-05 on it over a Coopers Kit packet... at that gravity 7g will be an under pitch and the beer will suffer for it.

Make it a Hybrid and it will be a cracker [bandit]

Yob

edit: Personally Id also add a handful at flameout too... but I always do that when I want a hoppy beer.... hang on... yep.. every beer [lol]

If you wanted to keep the IBU the same, knock back the bittering amount and increase the time (say 40 min) to adjust.

[whistling

Ok, a little adjustment to hops schedule;

15g Pacific Jade @ 40 min

10g Motueka @20min

10g Galaxy @20min

10g Nelson Sauvin @20 min

10g Motueka @10min

10g Galaxy @10 min

Comes out @ approx 49 IBU's

Also Yob,

Id also still use US-05 on it over a Coopers Kit packet
, by this do you mean US-05 added to Coopers yeast or instead of it ?

MR MALTY suggests that 14g is needed for an OG of 1061 (depending on the production date) but close enough in my book to a single packet of US-05 (Rehydrated not sprinkled)

Id be using 05 in stead of the Coopers Kit Yeast... if you have one spare throw it in with your 10 min addition as nutrient and the 05 will love you for it..

ed: dont be too afraid to Dry Hop it as well [w00t] (depending on your tastes)

I would use the US-05 as well but that doesn't really stick to the style you were looking at. I think the beer will benefit with US-05 as I find that the coopers yeast contribute a large flavor to the beer (which in this case might not be such a good thing) but you were only looking at Aussie and NZ ingredients.

That being said I would be using Cascade or Centennial instead of Motueka, but again it doesn't stick to the style. Either will end up a pretty good beer.

Remember to post back your results.

I'm not too worried about the yeast, I'd prefer US-05,

This IPA is actually built within the American IPA guidelines.

I will be brewing this one in about a week & a half, so plenty of time to refine the recipie & to see if I can get a balanced brew together [cool] .

Thanks for all the input guys & I'll repost as I get into it!

Thanks for all the input guys & I'll repost as I get into it!

I wasnt kidding when I said that about the Kit yeast as nutrent either.. if not the yeast, and indeed anyway, Id also be looking to get some yeast nutrient from the LHBS for this brew...

I love the idea of having the best possible environment to put the yeast into and it can and will and does often result in the best possible ferment (other things like temps assumed under control)

I stock about 4 bags of nutrient at any given time and use it religiously in every brew.

Cant wait to hear how this turns out, sub grains for your extract and this is almost the beer Im about to brew.. Im trying to get close to a Hopwired IPA from 8 Wired Brewery in NZ and brought back some Mouteka and NS from my recent trip over there [whistling [w00t] [smile]

Yob

* Wired - Hopwired IPA [love]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey guys!

I've done this IPA & has been in the FV for 13 days.

Yob, I did use a Coopers yeast pack as a nutrient with my 10 min addition as suggested.

I also just Dry-hopped with 10g Pacific Jade & 25g Galaxy, so it should display quite a nice punch-in-the-face [lol] !

All in all there is 115g of Hoppy goodness in this brew!

Tasted sample last night (pre- dry-hop), yum[love]

Should be a cracker!

• 2 months later...

I'm Baaack!

Hey, I'd just like to let you know that this IPA is absolutely mind blowing [biggrin]

I have shared it around & it has been very well received (by mates & the local master brewer).

If there is one thing id change to make it a real IPA, I'd step up the bitterness a bit, but otherwise- WOW!

Oh yeah, this took out 1st prize for Ales & homebrew champion for best exibit at the Mildura show [cool] .

I got a $50 voucher at my LHBS, think I'll buy a temp control unit for my brewfridge!

Thanks again for all the helpful advice on this one too.

Brock.

Archived