Coopers Community

Incorrect fermenter seal

Tassie brew

Hey guys, I started home brewing recently and have a common problem occurring.

My last 2 brews haven't been bubbling through the air lock but the SG on the hydrometer has been working ok. When I push the side of the fermenter I can hear some air escaping through the side, under the lid.

2 questions:

1. Could this be harmful to my brew?

2. Is there a way I can get a better air tight lock on the fermenter?

Cheers, Aaron

Hi Aaron,

Your brew will be fine. Just taste it out of the test tube when you test the gravity. If it tastes like beer, all's well! :D

A few guys have been known to use KY Jelly on the o ring in the lid as it is a water based lube.

Luke.

Thanks Luke, I appreciate your help mate. If my brew will be fine do I need to bottle it sooner than I usually do. I usually wait 2 weeks before bottling to help with clearing the brew that's all. Should it still be ok to leave it for this long do you reckon?

Cheers,

Aaron

G'day Aaron,

Might be worth looking at the FAQs in the Home Brewing section of our website.

At home, I use cling-wrap, secured with the O'ring, and a pin hole. Never have to clean a lid again!!

I put some vaseline on the rim of my fermenter and it worked a treat. Gave an air tight seal because the air lock started bubbling straight away.

I assume that vaseline would do the exact same job as the KY jelly.

Cheers

What flavours does KY jelly come in? is it anything like aeroplane jelly? Why would you put that on your homebrew? I am confused!!

Hehehe! :)

Be careful with the Vas, it is oil based and if it comes into contact with the brew it will have the same effect as drinking from a greasy glass. :(

I'm going the frisbee method next brew!

I don't mean to sound rude, being new to the forum and all, but on every beer brewing forum I've read people complain about Coopers fermenters not sealing properly. Now i know you don't have to have a good seal to have a great brew, i.e. the glad wrap method, but when buying a product shouldn't it work exactly as intended?

I have 4 fermenters, 2 Coopers and 2 25lt pail type, thing is I dont use the Coopers unless I really need too, or just to bulk prime. The only reason I bring this up is because I can't find a 30lt pail type for my primary and surely a company like Coopers would want improve the only product in its range that needs improving.

cheers,

Luke

G'day Tipsy,

a poor seal on the fermenting vessel is the most common problem we hear in Customer Service. Does it drive us crazy? YOU BETCHA!!

In some cases the fermenting vessel will not hold pressure from the very first brew while in other cases it may leak for the first time after 15 brews (I hope you get the point here).

The offending fermenting vessel is not always a Coopers brand.

Invariably, if the home brewer does not have a basic understanding of the fermenting process they will throw the brew out - what a waste of good beer!!

I can tell you that we are working on a solution but it is taking time to get it 100% right.

BUT - in the interim we have included more information on checking the integrity of the seal and signs of fermentation in the MicroBrew Kit instruction booklet and video.

.. and I thank my lucky stars that I have the old school Coopers fermenter.. No O-rings to contend with, just a big bucket, with 2 holes, one in the lid, one in the base of it. The open top is so much easier to deal with than the new ones with necks and the o-ring!

I'll never get rid of my old girl.. she's done some magnificent work for me. Although she loses a few drops of beer now through the tap which saddens me.

.. and I thank my lucky stars that I have the old school Coopers fermenter.. No O-rings to contend with, just a big bucket, with 2 holes, one in the lid, one in the base of it. The open top is so much easier to deal with than the new ones with necks and the o-ring!

I'll never get rid of my old girl.. she's done some magnificent work for me. Although she loses a few drops of beer now through the tap which saddens me.

They're fantastic all right, sometimes new aint always better

Archived