Coopers Community

Hop Gobbler Bottled!

Gash Slugg

[lol] That is tempting!!! You should of yelled out before it'd been carbing for 5 days and I would of sent one!! I got a little tipsy tuesday night, very tipsy... and I cracked open one of the bottles [devil] It was the last one actually bottled and the lil bottler blocked up a few times so I had marked the bottle.... If only I could remember if it was any good [biggrin]

Hey Gavin sounds good might give one a crack myself not over the moon about Fuggles though so maby not a good idea.

Very long shot Point Cook has a lot of people in it but by anychance know a bloke called Brian Muskett? Big malteese fella maby not but sometimes can be a rather small world.

Honestly mate I don't know anyone in Point Cook, only been here 6 months and haven't got out much! It's a pretty quiet place, i mean I dribbled tish to a few blokes at the club after a few bevies but that's it. I'm getting so desperate I'm about to stick a card up on the supermarket wall looking for other brewers! Trouble is there is no real pub in Point Cook, there is a small club with pokies etc. but no real drinking holes. Hmm I wondered why the wife wanted to move here..... [pinched]

Its doing my head in, I must of read 100 recipes the last hour or so , so confused........ One of the packs seal had broke so I had to bag it up straight away, luckily I have a real ale I put in on Sunday, good timing for a dry hop! [lol] I had enough troubles choosing which ones to get... I went a little safe... Cascade, Columbus and Magnum... I was always going to wish I had got something else no matter what I chose... Next time!!

Hey Gav, interested in how ya hop gobbler goes, sounds good as per your vid.

now to sort of hijack yer thread [bandit] .

I saw in your signature you have got/planned a real ale with NS hops, I'm interested in that because I am planning a Pale/ IPA with some kiwi & aussie hops.

I have Nelson Sauvin, Mouteka, Galaxy & pacific jade.

Thought the Real Ale may be a good base for that.

I have heard the NS can be pretty overpowering.

...so I'll stop dribbling & get to the point...

How is it?!

The Real Ale with Nelson was one of my favourite brews and it was dead easy basic brew.

2 litres water and 200g Light Dry Malt

Bring to the Boil

add 25g Nelson Sauvin

Boil for 7mins

turn off the heat.

Mix in BE1 (400g Maltodextrine/600g Dextrose)

add another 400g of Light Dry Malt

then mixed in the Can of Real Ale

cooled the wort by adding 8 litres of pre-boiled water cooled in the fridge over night. But you can cool it anyway you want to.

put it in the fermenter and topped it up to 23L

pitched US.05 yeast at around 21c, but you could just use the Coopers yeast.

Was another brew made with what I just had in the cupboards.

Hi Gavin & Brock,

Here's an IPA to think about. It has gone through a few changes and this is the latest result. It is excellent if I do say so myself.

Big Island IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1.1Kg LDM

566g Amber LME

150g 40L crystal malt

30g Oak Chips (sprinkled @ ferment)

20g Cascade (30mins)

20g Nelson Sauvin (10mins)

10g Cascade, N. Sauvin, Amarillo (dry hopped)

21L water

US-05

120g Dex (bulk prime)

This is one of my favouite brews. I always try to have some around. That reminds me that it's time to put down aother batch[joyful] .

• 3 weeks later...

It is ok, I think the 300g of Chocolate malt maybe just a little too much, and I wish I had of boiled all the hops for 7 mins (I boiled 5 grams of each) instead dry hopping most of them. I think it would benefit from a lot more time in the bottle, unfortunately I'm down to the last two bottles. I'll try my hardest to save at least one of them for a few months. But as I said the choc malt really seems to dominate, the brew is black! Patience is not one of my virtues [roll]

Hi Gav

I'm going to have a crack at the Hop Gobbler on the weekend.

Thanks for the tip on the beer coming out too dark. I made a beer with 170g of chocolate once, and I was surprised at the resulting colour. I was going to try going half/half with chocolate and pale chocolate. If your brew is black, I might do that, AND reduce to something more like 200g.

With your hops, you said you wish that you boiled all of them. Is that because the beer lacked bitterness, or because you don't really get any flavour from dry hopping?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers,

-Dyl

I was hoping for more hop flavour especially since its called Hop Gobbler! The hops can be tasted but most were masked by the chocolate malt, the chocolate malt seemed a lot darker then the last choc malt I had bought. I originally was going to boil 15g of each, but then thought I'd follow their recipe more closely. I love my hops though, if you are a hop head I would go with boiling at least half of the hops. I am getting less and less impressed by drying hopping everyday....

Patience is not one of my virtues [roll]

Hey Gavin

Close to 24 litres in a month [bandit] . I have really got to get over this three month thing that was planted in my head when I first started brewing. I get the feeling that it only applies to beer with loads of simple sugars. Anyway I have decided to chill a couple of my EB Porters which are 10 weeks bottled.

Back on topic:

It is ok' date=' I think the 300g of Chocolate malt maybe just a little too much, and I wish I had of boiled all the hops for 7 mins (I boiled 5 grams of each) instead dry hopping most of them.[/quote']

It maybe a good thing that I didn't realise that I only had 200g of Choc Malted Grain left, I topped it up with Crystal 270. It tasted great out of the FV, I'll have to wait a while though its only 10 days bottled and carbing at about 15'C. I have been brewing heaps of EB kits and have yet to add any boiled hops because I am wary of how bitter my hop boils made the Real Ale kit and to a lessor extent the Sparkling Ale kit.

Close to 24 litres in a month [bandit] .

hmmm I won't tell you about the rest then..... [pinched]

yep that sounds better with the crystal, although as said I earlier the choc malt from the Coopers kit was very dark, seemed a lot darker then other chocolate malts I have had, and was very brittle too, maybe I got a bad batch??? Who knows, they don't tell you what sort of chocolate malt they include.... Hope yours turns out better! [joyful]

... the choc malt from the Coopers kit was very dark' date=' seemed a lot darker then other chocolate malts I have had, and was very brittle too, maybe I got a bad batch??? .... Hope yours turns out better! [joyful']

Hope so too [cool]

I didn't get the Coopers pack this time. I used Joe White Choc Malt 600 EBC. Yours sounds like the Roasted Barley (also Joe White) that I use, it is so brittle that when cracked and steeped it goes straight through the sieve.

Cheers

Yep, Joe White Choc Malt was packed with this recipe. Must admit that I didn't ask for a CoA to check colour but I'd expect it's within the 600 to 800 EBC mark.[innocent]

The amount of extraction (both flavour and colour) will depend somewhat on the method of steeping and how severely the grain is cracked.

The recipe is intended to be made to 25 litres and only dry hopped in an attempt to get close to the Hobgoblin style - bitterness, colour, alcohol, SG, etc.

The final result (from the recipe, if you choose to adhere to it) is slightly darker, more aromatic with more body and less of the caramel notes that the real thing has. [sideways]

I agree 300 grams was waaay too much chocolate. I felt thet at the time I was brewing it but used all the grain anyway. Wished I didn't. I was not expecting a Hobgoblin clone but hoped for something similar in style. This was more like a choc-porter, delicious to the end, sure, but not what I was expecting.

I will stick to the all grain recipe I have brewed twice before that I sourced from the Brewing Network that they sourced from the head brewer at Wytchwood (hops include cascade!)...

I recently had a crack at the hop gobbler too.

Following on from what Paul had to say in his post, I went with 200g of pale choc (600EBC), 50g caramalt and 50g medium crystal.

My attempt doesn't look as dark as others have said their's was, although I think that I may have taken it a little too far. My effort is probably not as dark as the real thing.

Either way, it tastes and smells great. For those who have a crack at making this one, and I recommend doing so, be wary of the 'chocolate' malt you get. At my homebrew shop there are 2 and one is twice as dark as the other.

Archived