Coopers Community

Hop Gobbler Bottled!

Gash Slugg

I did a side by side comparison tonight. When I started this thread I had no idea that this was supposed to be similar to Hopgobblin, but my conclusion is exactly the same as I posted at the initial tasting, too much chocolate malt IMO.

Brewed the Hop Gobbler strictly as per recipe, bottled on 26 June @ 1005FG and had my first taste last night (11JULY).

Absolutely sensational - had to stop myself after the second long neck !!

Good on ya Coopers, keep 'em coming !

Good stuff Bevin and welcome to the forum.

An FG of 1005 seems like a low number for this type of beer. What yeast did you use?

I would have expected something around 1012-1014. You may want to check that your hydrometer is calibrated correctly.

Thanks for the welcome Hairy and g'day to you, Slugg.

The hydrometer was the basic plastic one as supplied with the Coopers kit. Maybe living in the top end sends the brew troppo as well ??!! Anyway, whatever the numbers they were steady over three days so into the bottle it went.

I'm feeling pretty stoked with the result as this was only my 3rd brew. The first (lager included in kit) was good, only a couple of bottles left. The second (Coopers Cerveza) was so-so, but the missus has been going crackers on it, so it's win-win ! The Hop Gobbler is my first foray away from kilo and can, and because it exceeded my expectations I'll be lurking around the forums 'borrowing' other brewers' recipes and having a stab.

Cheers fellas

Thanks for the welcome Hairy and g'day to you, Slugg.

The hydrometer was the basic plastic one as supplied with the Coopers kit. Maybe living in the top end sends the brew troppo as well ??!! Anyway, whatever the numbers they were steady over three days so into the bottle it went.

I'm feeling pretty stoked with the result as this was only my 3rd brew. The first (lager included in kit) was good, only a couple of bottles left. The second (Coopers Cerveza) was so-so, but the missus has been going crackers on it, so it's win-win ! The Hop Gobbler is my first foray away from kilo and can, and because it exceeded my expectations I'll be lurking around the forums 'borrowing' other brewers' recipes and having a stab.

Cheers fellas

Oh, and the yeast was as supplied with the kit ingredients.

• 2 weeks later...

My Hop Gobbler is just over 5 weeks bottled and I tried two 375ml stubbies tonight. I am quite impressed, I was after a milder version of my EB Porter and this recipe nailed it, although I only used 200g of Choc Malt. The Malt still dominates slightly however there are subtle hints on the Dry Hops (EKG & Willamette). I am on for making it again although I will do short biols with the hops, I have dry hopped a number of brews but must admit I prefer the results gained from boils of 5-8 minutes.

I made this on Monday night as per the recipe. Afterwards the smell reminded me of the Mildura Brewery Choc Hops Stout and I was worried. Had one of them a few weeks ago and the taste stayed in my mouth into the next day, deffinately not a beer I enjoyed. Anyway, tonight is night #5 and thankfully that strong smell has disappeared.

Looking forward to drinking it in a few weeks time

Following on from the above, SG was 1050 and I used S-04 yeast, on day 3 I transferred into another fermenter & added the hops.

Gravity is currently 1017 and still dropping (was 1018 yesterday).

I'm wondering if I should pitch the kit yeast as well to give it a bit more kick along prior to bottling.

Any thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Sorry about the Bump...but you blokes drink your brews way too fast. Mine is now 13 weeks bottled and I have to take back what I said about the hops. Aroma and flavour are now present, or at least now I am noticing them. Also the choc malt is not as dominant as it was at 5 weeks. All in all a top brew and worthy of the effort for all of us still brewing with kits.

PS I have a swag of 500ml bottles of the Gobbler to consume and a couple of parties and AFL finals to go.

• 3 weeks later...

so i bottled my Hop Gobbler back in August, had a few bottles and shared some with friends. I must say i'm not that impressed with it. I find it way too bitter for my liking and maybe as it was my first attempt with grains, it has a rather strong burnt taste.

I'll give it a few more months before deciding it's fate.

Archived