Coopers Community

Making the most of the Coopers Lager can

MattT15

Afternoon brewers,

Like most, I'm looking to improve on the ordinary Coopers Lager can that comes free with the kit.

Was thinking something along these lines:

1X Coopers Lager can

500g LDME

1kg Dextrose

1 X bag Pride of Ringwood hops (I like it hoppy - when would be best to add these to get good effect?)

Sound the Gary goods? Any extra advice would be welcomed.

Cheers and beers,

Matt.

G'day Sir Jimmy,

To be honest, I love bitterness and hoppy flavours, either or. The more the merrier.

Should I just steep for 15 mins before pitching and then just chuck the boiled hops and water all into the vat together?

I guess the main thing I am after is to give the generic Coopers lager can a bit more legs...

yes it is farly ordinary as is and not even a lager yeast in can. If all you want is hop flavour if using real ale kit like on your other thread then just use a sauspan say 2 litres capacity.

Fill to within a few cm with water bring to boil then flame out and add hops give a quick stir then put lid on let sit for 15 to 30 minutes. Do the rest of brew as normal then strain hops into Fv and stir before pitching yeast.

If using this lager kit and want more bitterness simply do a 15 or 20 min boil before adding. Hops is helpful mate good luck

i will never make the lager again... i've had my first in the bottle for nearly 12 weeks, and there's nothing wrong with it. there's no strong ester flavour, there's no infection - it's just a rubbish kit.

if i were to do use it again, it would only be in a toucan with a kit with heaps of flavour. if i were to use it alone, i'd be experimenting with a true lager yeast and hopping the sh*t out of it.

Swap your quants of LDME and Dextrose around

Add 250g or so of steeped cracked crystal (really easy to do and worth the effort)

Add aroma/flavour hops (to your liking)

The POR are not the best for aroma/flavour but not bad tasting if fresh, in the future I would buy a hop more suited to that job depending on the hop flavours your into ... How many hops is 1 x bag :)

Afternoon brewers,

Like most, I'm looking to improve on the ordinary Coopers Lager can that comes free with the kit.

Was thinking something along these lines:

1X Coopers Lager can

500g LDME

1kg Dextrose

1 X bag Pride of Ringwood hops (I like it hoppy - when would be best to add these to get good effect?)

Sound the Gary goods? Any extra advice would be welcomed.

Cheers and beers,

Matt.

Try 1kg LDM and 300g Dextrose. Your beer will be so much better (if the Lager can be that is).

Keep your POR in the freezer for something else and use a better hop for flavor and aroma.

Archived