Coopers Community

Tips for aging home brew

Sunny Coast Brewer

Hi, I have done about a dozen brews now and have had various levels of success with them. Some have been great, others have been a bit wishy-washy.

I have one major problem with my brews though... I keep getting told how the taste improves with age, but I just can't seen to keep them long enough to let them age!

Does anyone have any tips to help me keep my hands off them as soon as the 2 weeks passes? :roll:

Get a heap more bottles/kegs so you have enough to put away.

I have 9 kegs on rotation so my beer is 2 - 3 months old when I drink it. I did the same with bottles, kept a stock of around 200 longnecks, so they had a bit of age on them by the time they made it to the fridge.

Its always going to be a problem getting a 'head' of home brews so some can age before being scoffed.

Try flat out brewing and botttling for a few months, continuous production. That should stock every spare cupboard in the house!

Or ... consider bottling them with a mate.. one that doesnt drink much ... at their house . Then youve got to go around there to scoff 'em, so there's some chance of a few being left.

Put some at the back of a spare room, and throw a vicious wild dog in there. When you're that starved for a nice matured brew, then you can think of a serious plan to get past the crazed bloodthirsty hound and grab a homie.

A convenient alternative is to maybe put 5 longnecks away from each brew before you even drink any (and I mean away away, somewhere in the house where you dont keep your regular brews). Then consider your start - 5 as your total "drinking set", when you get to the bottom of that, just brew again - spin, rinse, repeat. You might need some more bottles to get that happening effectively, because you'll end up losing quite a few in storage.

Also, pick the right brews to age. Dont bother with lagers, or even simple ales. Heavy ales, with high malt content, or roasted flavours, or even with a complex hop content tend to benefit more from aging. You wouldn't get many benefits at all for aging, say a coopers cerveza kit brew, on the other hand, a coopers sparkling ale may well develop a little over time. I made a little creatures all grain copy, and went a bit nuts dry hopping with cascade hops - and time has let that mellow out into a really smooth well rounded beer, down from the fruit salad it once was.

When I worked in an abbatoir I asked the guys to buy slabs of king browns instead of stubbies and pass on the empties to me.

Let's just say the average meatworker is a pretty keen drinker and they were all too happy to oblige.

I reckon the stocks of bottles went from about 50-60 to over 300 in a month! 8)

• 3 weeks later...

I have converted a cupboard (lined with insulation etc) to store my brews.

The other half keeps the key - we struck a good deal, she thinks she\u2019s keeping me from drinking more and I know she\u2019s helping me age the beer!

After each brew half goes in the cupboard the other half into the drinking stock!

When the cupboard is full I start taking out the ones at the bottom and replacing them with new ones!

Best thing, they are now 12 - 18months old!.

Also, pick the right brews to age. Dont bother with lagers, or even simple ales. Heavy ales, with high malt content, or roasted flavours, or even with a complex hop content tend to benefit more from aging. You wouldn't get many benefits at all for aging, say a coopers cerveza kit brew, on the other hand, a coopers sparkling ale may well develop a little over time.

So apart from the Cerveza (which they don't sell at my local Woolies or Home Brew shop), what other kits are good for a young beer. One that is almost as good at 3 weeks old as it is aged a little longer.

Coopers Draught, Coopers Lager (maybe even Bavarian Lager), Coopers Real Ale perhaps, Coopers Ginger.. try BiLo, down in VIC you can get cerveza pale ale, bavarian, ginger, nearly all apart from the thomas coopers range.

• 8 months later...

I've made the Cooper's Draught with 1kg of BE2 my standard brew now & it's working a treat. It's quite tasty after just the minimum amount of time in the bottles.

I did a stout in October 2006 and plan on keeping it locked away until St Patrick's Day in March. It should be pretty good by then!

We're getting a 9m x 7m shed built in the New Year, so I'll be able to set up a good spot in there as my home brew area. Then I'll be able to store my brews better.

Archived