Coopers Community

Pale Ale - Fat Yak(ish)

Mags

Hey guys just wondering your opinion on this recipe. Looking for something along the lines of Fat Yak but doesn't need to be spot on.

Coopers Pale Ale

1kg LDME

250g WDME

250g Dex

15g Cascade @20mins

20g Nelson Sav @15mns

10g Cascade @0mins

10g Nelson Sav @0mins

25g Cascade dry hopped

Probably way off on my hops but open to recommendations. [biggrin]

Your hop schedule looks roughly in line with what's on Matilda Bay's own site: http://www.matildabay.com/our-beer/fat-yak#/our-beer/fat-yak/the-craft

There's a few recipies around the web if you want to search for them, but I reckon you're on the right track there. Good to see plenty of malt and not too much dextrose, but I'm not sure if Fat Yak has any wheat in it. If it does, stick with that, but if not, you might consider subbing the wheat malt for crystal.

G'day Mags, your recipe looks ok to me. Try this one, its along the lines of the Yak, very nice it is.

2 Coopers LME

250g LDM

125g Munich malt steeped for 20 mins

40g Fuggles @40

10g Fuggles @10

15g Nelson Sauvin @10

6g Tettnanger dry hopped 24 hrs before bottling

1 Safale 04

23 litres

Good luck.

G'day Mags, your recipe looks ok to me. Try this one, its along the lines of the Yak, very nice it is.

2 Coopers LME

250g LDM

40g Fuggles @40

10g Fuggles @10

15g Nelson Sauvin @10

10g Tettnanger dry hopped

1 Safale 04

23 litres

Good luck.

There's no Fuggles or Tettnanger in Fat Yak.

2 Coopers LME

250g LDM

40g Fuggles @40

10g Fuggles @10

15g Nelson Sauvin @10

1 Safale 04

23 litres

Good luck.

Sorry Brendan but I disagree. Even though I haven't done this recipe it would be nothing like a Fat Yak. You have an English Yeast with German, New Zealand and English hops.

Off the top of my head a Fatty would go more along the lines of:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1kg LDM

250g Dextrose

200g Light Crystal or wheat

15g Cascade @ 10 minutes

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 minutes

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 0 minutes

15g Cascade Dry

US-05 Yeast

+1 for that Bill.

I put down a brew on Saturday with that exact hop schedule. I used an OS Draught kit though, as that's what I had in stock. From what I have read on forums it should come out fairly close to a Yak (except for maybe subbing a Pale Ale can for the Draught).

OK, i now know that Fat Yak doesn't use Fuggles, Tettnanger or Safale, however, the recipe i used, which was given to me by a long time brewer, did actually come close to the real thing IMO. And, i thought my brew tasted nicer.

I've done it twice now.

Maybe it was the combination of the yeast and hops or the variation in the brew room temps (14-20 degrees roughly) while fermenting back before i had decent temperature control.

Don't know[unsure]

Anyhow, thats my story and i'm sticking to it [rightful]

Had to make an edit on the Tettnanger, if anyones interested[biggrin]

Happy brewing Gents,

Brendan.

As long as it tastes good, that's all that really matters.

I often try to make a clone but don't quite get there. The beer is still good though.

Now instead of tellling people it's a clone I will say "It's in the style of ....". It gives you a bit more of a licence to tweak it (or get it wrong) so you can add Tettnanger and Fuggles to a Fat Yak.

I agree with hairy... nevertheless, I didn't say it wouldn't be a nice tasting beer just pointed out that it is nothing like a Yak.

I may even try that recipe myself but I'm not fond of 04 yeast so may sub it with US05 instead [bandit]

Now instead of tellling people it's a clone I will say "It's in the style of ....". quote]

+1 Hairy and Bill

I say " a brew you can compare to a Fat Yak", no one can argue with that no matter how much you miss the mark by [pinched]

Now instead of tellling people it's a clone I will say "It's in the style of ....". quote]

+1 Hairy and Bill

I say " a brew you can compare to a Fat Yak", no one can argue with that no matter how much you miss the mark by [pinched]

I just say, it was supposed to be a Fat Yak but I stuffed up [pinched]

2 Coopers LME

250g LDM

40g Fuggles @40

10g Fuggles @10

15g Nelson Sauvin @10

1 Safale 04

23 litres

Good luck.

Sorry Brendan but I disagree. Even though I haven't done this recipe it would be nothing like a Fat Yak. You have an English Yeast with German, New Zealand and English hops.

Off the top of my head a Fatty would go more along the lines of:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale

1kg LDM

250g Dextrose

200g Light Crystal or wheat

15g Cascade @ 10 minutes

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 minutes

15g Nelson Sauvin @ 0 minutes

15g Cascade Dry

US-05 Yeast

Bill,

I tried that exact recipe. I have just pitched the yeast and took my OG. It tasted OK. It seemed to be bitter and lacked any fruity flavour. Will this come with the final hop addition when I dry hop cascade? By all means doesn't taste bad but I want same bitterness/maybe little less but little more fruity like Yak.

Could be my method was wrong. I boiled cascade/nelson for 10 mins, took off heat added more nelson sav and let it cool. I am sure I haven't done anything wrong? [lol]

Mags, your method seems fine. And I don't think that changing the kit from the Pale Ale to the Lager will increase the 'fruitiness'.

The lager kit is slightly more bitter but nothing too noticeable. The main difference would be the malt profile of the two. I think the Pale Ale kit has some wheat malt in it too.

Anyway, just wait until you dry hop it and give it time. The end product tends to taste very different to the taste at the start; which is usually very sweet due to the unfermented sugar.

After that you can tinker with it for your next brew and add more hops if desired.

Mags - I took that recipe only from "the top of my head" and from what I thought I could recall without doing the research. Nevertheless, dry hopping the Cascade will bring it close to what you maybe after. As with all beer it will need a little time in the bottle to mellow a little but the wait should be worth it. Try this after about 6-8 weeks.

You can always tweak it to suit yourself in time to come but at least this should give you a good base start :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Absolute disaster with this brew. I didn't give it the attention I should of and I believe the brewing temps may have got too high the other weekend along with some other issues.

Brew tasted/smelled good pre-dry hop.

After dry hopping temp control wasn't at it's best and last night I took a sample and it tasted a bit watery/smelled like paint thinner/vinegar.

I racked to a secondary and the colour is beautiful. It smells better than in the primary but still watery and wine like. I am finding it hard to put my finger on describing it.

Anyway I will proceed to bottle even though it may be a waste of time. It's either poor temp control or bacteria in the FV causing the off taste/smell. Or both.

Archived