Coopers Community

Beginners stout?

HenrikF

Hi everybody

I am very new to the homebrew game, but love a good dark stout.

What do you think of this:

1 Can of Coopers Irish Stout

1 Can of Coopers Liquid Malt Extract

500 grams Dark Dried Malt Extract

Hope to get some input[biggrin] Bare in mind that i'm a noob..[innocent]

Hello Henrik

Have you checked out the How to Brew section. PB2 has this Irish Stoutwhich he says is similar to Guinness in the widget can. It isn't as high in Alcohol as your recipe but it sounds liek a good Beginner's Stout. I haven't tried it yet, I am planning for it in about a month, however the recipes in the How to Brew section are generally considered winners.

Thanks for your inputs[biggrin] I only tried the lager that came with the kit (tasted it yesterday after only 9 days in the bottle, and I'm pleased[joyful] ) And at the moment I have the Unreal Ale in the FV made it this saturday, expecting a lot from that[love]

I thought I had looked at all the recipies, but missed the best extra stout..[pinched]

Think I'll try that with brown sugar and the Irish stout[biggrin]

Henrik, if you made the kit lager and found it pleasant, pretty much everything you make after that is probably going to put a much bigger grin on your face.

Would be curious to hear how your stout recipe turns out if you pursue it.

I recently made a OS Stout with be2 and 800 grams of dark brown sugar it turned out great put some aside to age will be making it again maybe i will use the full kilo of dark brown sugar next time but debating if i will or stick with the recipe that i did even SWMBO liked it and she isn't usually a fan of dark brews like stouts.

The Toucan is always a winner...

1 Coopers Stout

1 Dark Ale

1kg Dextrose

I like to throw a little choc malt in there too.

Leave it for 6+ months in the bottle and its a nice drop.

I guess the strength of the malts drowns out any thinning from the dextrose?

I guess the strength of the malts drowns out any thinning from the dextrose?

You wont find this recipe thin Damien - It turns out a great stout in the style of Coopers Best Extra. I've still got bottles of this stuff which must be about 3-4 years old and it is great.

Archived