Coopers Community

Citrus Hopped Up Autmn Ale

NicD

I would like to share a recipe I have been working on. this is an evolution of a previous beer and is easy to make and tastes like liquid sunshine!

1 can coopers larger

1 kg light dry malt extract

250g light crystal grain

25g amarillo hop pellets

25g (2 plugs) citra hops

1 coopers ale yeast from the larger can.

method:

bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil, remove from heat and allow to cool for 3 min, att the crystal grain stir for 2 min, cover and stand for 30 min.

boil 2 litres of water and add 1/2 the amarillo hop pellets and 1 citra plug. continue to boil for 15 min.

add the malt extract to the hop tea once its off the boil and stir until the malt powder is completly dissolved.

add the coopers larger can to the malt/hop mix and stir thoroughly.

finally strain the crystal grain into the hop/malt/coopers mix and stir through. just add the grain juice and throw away the grains

sit the wort in the saucepan with the lid on in cold water to cool the wort down to room temp.

add the wort to your fernmenter and top up to 21 litres. once the temp is 20deg, pitch the yeast.

after fermentation is complete add rest of the hops dry to the fementer. (1 plug of citra and 12g of amarillo pellets)allow the hops to sit in the wort for a week before bottling.

notes: the crystal adds some sweetness to the all malt beer and allows you to add more hops than you would expect. The combination of citra and amarillo give the beer a very citrus flavoured and a highly aromatic beer. very fresh, but strong as an ox taste.

not overly bitter as the boil time is not extracting much of the bitterness of the hops and low alpha acid hops are being used. most of the bitterness is from the larger can.

I would also use light dry malt and bulk prime this recipe to produce an all malt beer.

but dextrose would be fine or even carbonation drops.

try to keep the temps at or below 20deg and resist drinking ot for 3 weeks once bottled!

enjoy and let me know how it goes!

Cheers...

Hey Nic

That is one impressive first up post. Those two hops are a great combination, they go together like a horse and carriage; or is that love and marriage? And alas another +1 for the much maligned Lager Kit [wink] and one that needs to go on the to do list [cool]

Thanks for the props Nelson! and I am glad to have found a place to share so good ole beer talk!

Chris, plugs are basically dried flowers compressed into a lump about an inch in diameter and are round, you normally get 2 in a packed and I prefer them if i get get them in the variety I am after. they are the closest thing to drying hops yourself. you can buy them at most good brew stores and either boil them or dry hop with them.

usually I put them in a small teabag before boiling or adding them to the fermenter. this allows you to just fish out the bag when you are finished and you don't have to scoop out all the hop flowers.

bring 1.5 litres of water to the boil, remove from heat and allow to cool for 3 min, att the crystal grain stir for 2 min, cover and stand for 30 min.

Just one thing here mate, you shouldnt get grains over 80'c as you will extract tannins from the husks, with such a small ammount of grain you probably wont detect it but it's is a flawed practice.

Generally when steeping grain for an addition to a kit, I will get me pot to 80'c and stir till the temp drops to about 72'c and then add grain and wrap in a sleeping bag. This is good practice for stepping up to partials and AG brews.

Yob

(ps will be better tasting at about 2-3 months of age if any make it that far [lol] )

I will get me pot to 80'c and stir till the temp drops to about 72'c and then add grain and wrap in a sleeping bag

Why not just heat the pot to 72 degrees?

I'm not being a smart ass like I usually am; just wondering if there is a reason for hitting 80 degrees first.

I will get me pot to 80'c and stir till the temp drops to about 72'c and then add grain and wrap in a sleeping bag

Why not just heat the pot to 72 degrees?

My guess is that the addition of the grains to the 80C water would drop the temperature to somewhere around 72C.[unsure]

I'm not being a smart ass like I usually am; just wondering if there is a reason for hitting 80 degrees first.

My guess is that the addition of the grains to the 80C water would drop the temperature to somewhere around 72C.[unsure]

Unless they are really really cold grains Chad, you won't lose 8C with such a small addition. I just completed an AG today and my strike temp I needed was 68C. I needed to get my water temp to 71C before I mashed in with 5.7kg grain. I hit 68C spot on [joyful]

That is only a 3C drop with 36L water and 5.7kg grain.

My guess is, Yob has probably got an easy method to get to 80C without stuffing around with a thermometer alot. Then by the time he figits around and gives it a bit of a stir it would be at or around 72C.

The Faffing Factor... I know what Im like and will be farting round with something else as well [lol] It just gives me some time up my sleeve from 80'c to 72'c would only be 10 15 mins unwrapped (the pot). and a quick stir will get it down to temp if I do finish faffing.

I say 72'c coz if doing a kit these days it's more than likely going to be a partial mash of up to 2kg of base malt + a bit of wheat + some crystal.. I know what temps I want to be at within a degree or so...

but pretty much because im a faffer [lol]

finally strain the crystal grain into the hop/malt/coopers mix and stir through. just add the grain juice and throw away the grains

Just a quickie on this. Would you not need to boil this for about to kill any nasties before adding to the rest of the wort?

Hi Nic,

Haha no not picking it to pieces at all. I'm just looking into adding fresh grains to my recipes and I was curious myself :)

This recipe looks awesome and the way you wrote your method was really easy to read. I'll be giving this a go soon.

Cheers! [cool]

Just a newbie question do you crack the grains? and if so whats the easiest way and how fine if that makes sense?

sounds like a top recipe, i am laying down a lager can with cascade and amerillo next weekend using liquid malt with it.

anyone have an opinion on whether liquid or dry malt is better/ worse?

Just a newbie question do you crack the grains? and if so whats the easiest way and how fine if that makes sense?

The easiest way is to get your LHBS to do it for you. But when I buy uncracked grain I use a rolling pin to crack them.

The size of the crush isn't so important when steeping specialty grains, so you just need to crack them rather than crushing them into a fine powder. Somewhere in between the two is fine.

They are both fine and one isn't necessarily better than the other.

However, dry malt lasts longer in storage. I prefer to use liquid malt when doing bigger boils in extract brewing but thats my preference. I've used dry malt too in the boils and it worked just as well.

I just find mixing large amounts of dry malt a bit of a PITA.

I just find mixing large amounts of dry malt a bit of a PITA.

Try using a spoon [bandit]

I use a big spoon and really put some effort into it. I find that I clench my glutes during the activity which is why it is a PITA. [innocent]

Note: I promise I will never mention my glutes on here again.

They are the same imo. One stores better than the other is all that I am aware of.

You may want to look at post no. 4 and 6 in THIS thread. It will give you the conversion rates.

Archived