Coopers Community

PORTER (Also, hello again!)

craigb15

It's been a while; so long, in fact, that i think my account was deleted in the meantime. I've been off brewing non-coopers things for the last while - mostly experimenting with different fruit ciders and learning how distillation works - but i thought I'd let you know about an amazing Porter I just made.

Really easy:

1 x tin of coopers sparkling ale (i used this yeast)

1 x tin of coopers dark malt extract

500g Dry Malt Extract

20g of Styrian Goldings (added on day one)

10g of Cascade (added near the end of fermentation).

Nothing special in terms of technique or anything, but SERIOUSLY this is one of the best beers i've made in a long, long time.

If you're a fan of Porters, I urge you to give it a go. It comes out a little on the strong side with the extra DME, so you can leave this out if you're looking for something a bit gentler. And if you're looking for something a bit more hoppy and aromatic, I think it could definitely handle more late hops without being overpowered by them.

All in, this is one of the best and easiest brews that I've made in a long while. It was great as a young beer, but now that it's aging it's really turning into something special!

I tried a vanilla porter a few months ago and it was very nice. It was a Tempress Porter by Holgate Brewery.

The vanilla was quite subtle but you could tell it was there and really added something to the beer. Sometimes I find the "added special ingredient" can detract from the beer. Especially when it is overpowering and dominating the malt and hops.

I don't mind the JS porter. It is an easy to drink dark beer that isn't very challenging (ie. no chewing necessary).

Maybe I am easily whelmed [innocent]

They have made a couple of different Porters i am only referring to the Jack Of Spades, but then again i like thick stouts best.

I tried a vanilla porter a few months ago and it was very nice. It was a Tempress Porter by Holgate Brewery.

The vanilla was quite subtle but you could tell it was there and really added something to the beer. Sometimes I find the "added special ingredient" can detract from the beer. Especially when it is overpowering and dominating the malt and hops.

Did you add the vanilla at the beginning or when bottling / bulk priming.

Here is a link to BYO Magazine and a few Porter recipes using vanilla, coffee etc

BYO - Porter Recipes

These recipes suggest adding the vanilla and coffee during secondary (or bottling).

But I have read other recipes suggesting to add vanilla at the start of primary.

I think I will have to make a vanilla porter for winter [love]

• 2 weeks later...

Been a little while since I've been on here, mainly due to making lots of partial mash brews and my session/swiller APA's with cascade and amarillo hops. But I bought a 6 pack of JS jack of spades porter and got enthused to make a porter. Unfortuantly I haven't finished my 3 tier brew sculpture to do full grain. so its the partial/extract method still for me.

Your right the Jack of spades porter isn't the best porter, but for it being summer(well one would think it was supposed to be) its light enough for the temp.

I was thinking of

1.5kg LME

1kg dark malt

80g steeped choc malt grain

250g crystal malt

50g fuggles or some other english hops to bitter for 60min boil

not sure whether to add some extra to dry hop, Any sugestions??

Couple of shots of coffee and vanilla bean (steeped/boiled) added when bulk priming.

Yeast?? any suggestions?

I have cultured Californian Ale yeast. would this be ok for an english style?

Thanks

Rob

Archived