Coopers Community

Redback Recipe

AB

Hey Andrew,

I was just reading about a Red Back clone in 'The Brew Master's Bible'. It goes something like this:

Barley-Wheat "Red" Ale

1.8Kg Pale Malt Extract

1.8Kg Wheat Malt Extract

120g Roasted Barely

42g Fuggles (60mins)

14g Fuggles (5ins)

1 packet Doric dry ale yeast

19L water

OG 1.057 FG 1.014 ABV 5.6%

It also goes on to adding some finnings but I wouldn't bother.

The funny thing is the reason I was reading this recipe is I happen to put something down sort of similar last week![cool]

Maybe you could try

1.7Kg OS Draught

1.5Kg WDME

100g Roasted Barely

hops of your choice

US-05 or Kit yeast

made to 19L

BTW, I've never tried a Red Back so I don't really know what the hell I'm talking about.[pinched]

We really don't have too many bears around here. A Koala Bear I guess, but they're not really a bear.

Although... we do have Drop Bears that live in trees. These are dangerous critters to beware of.

I know of one kind of bear you guys have down under. It has almost had the best of me a few times. It can be rather deadly!

bundabergrum.jpg

[innocent]

We really don't have too many bears around here. A Koala Bear I guess, but they're not really a bear.

Although... we do have Drop Bears that live in trees. These are dangerous critters to beware of.

I know of one kind of bear you guys have down under. It has almost had the best of me a few times. I can be rather deadly!

bundabergrum.jpg

[innocent]

Drink it with Ginger beer and you have a "Dark and Stormy" [love]

Yeh Bill those Drop Bears are real scarey [bandit]

OK... What's the story on Drop Bears?[unsure]

I've only seen a couple. They normally live in tall trees and drop out/down onto unsuspecting American tourists (before you take offense Chad I'm not calling you an American, I\u2019ve just never seen a Canadian fall into their trap).

It's no myth though and that distribution map is actually pretty accurate, albeit I can never understand why they alway place the logo of the head in the middle of Aust. as it is known that there are no Drop Bears there, actually there's not much of anything there at all. They reside down the East of Aust.

Vegemite, my kids love it. I must say I have vegemite more often than any other topping for sandwiches or toast. mmmmm!!!... it puts lead in your pencil and hairs on your chest!

Vegemite yumm [love] on toast, thick, with strong cup of coffee.

Now if i showed the Tiger snake i nearly put my foot on, and managed tophotograph at the Bay Of Fires in Tassie last March you wouldnt give 2 hoots about drop bears.

Chad the reason there's no Drop Bears in the middle of OZ is because there aint no bloody trees, nothing to drop out of.

Tony, that aint a Tiger Snake, that's a Yellow bellied Black.

Didyaallknow that Red Back babies get blown into different locations by the wind? Thats a fact. So yaaint safe anywhere.[devil]

Chad the reason there's no Drop Bears in the middle of OZ is because there aint no bloody trees, nothing to drop out of.

Tony, that aint a Tiger Snake, that's a Yellow bellied Black.

Didyaallknow that Red Back babies get blown into different locations by the wind? Thats a fact. So yaaint safe anywhere.[devil]

No thats a Tiger believe me, there is no snake officially known as the "Yellow-bellied black snake". In Tasmania the Tiger tend to be darker because of the colder climate. I know my snakes and have even been tagged by a copper head. I spend most of my free time in the bush and the Outback and have done since i was a kid.

Tasmanian Tiger Snake description:

The markings are extremely variable and should not be used in isolation to identify snakes. Colours range from jet black, through yellow/orange with grey bands to sandy grey with no bands. There are unconfirmed reports of red-bellied tiger snakes in north-east Tasmania. Typical forms are of a black snake with either no bands or faint yellow to cream bands. Dark olive snakes with yellow bands are fairly common.

Archived