Coopers Community

Extra Smooth Bitter

Freestyler

Hi guys,

I have tried the search bar but couldnt find too much on this recipe. This could in a reality be due to me being an idiot though so I apologise if I have missed huge masses of info on this one already.

I have the ingredients for the recipe. The kit, BE1 and molasses, I was wondering though if this could be improved with any small tweaks at all?

I also have BE 2, some LDM and brewing sugar. Is it worth substituting any of these for the BE 1 or adding to it. I was thinking of doing the recipe as is and then adding a further 500gms of LDM to the BE1 and kit extract, would you recommend this, also to try and up the ABV to over 5% as most of my beers are already pretty light.

Also I read online the molasses does add to the smoothness but also the aroma is very sweet and almost off putting, has anyone else experienced this, should I maybe add 100gms only instead of the 200?

and one final question, do I need to do anything to the molasses? boil or something or can I just squeeze it out the squeezy bottle into the water in the FV?

Thanks again guys

I haven't made this recipe or used molasses so I can't help you there or comment on it.

My standard English Bitter recipe uses 1kg LDM, 200g Crystal and some hops. It is a great kit.

I would avoid using cascade and/or amarillo as these won't really suit the style. You would be best sticking to English style hops such as East Kent Golding, Styrian Golding, Fuggles etc.

I usually use EKG but I'm planning on using Styrian next time around.

I usually agree withe the hairy one but unlike him I would most definately not avoid using cascade with the English Bitter kit. I made the following a while back and it is a great beer which I will definately make again. True, it isn't strictly true to style but who really gives a toss if it tastes good.

Cascading Pom

1kg LDM

300g dex

20g Cascade (dry hopped)

Made to 22L and brewed at 18C

Kit yeast or yeast of your choice

I should come out at just over 5% and ages very well [love]

Muddy, are you an anarchist?

You will create chaos in the world by encouraging people to mash styles like that.

The next thing will be someone making a stout with Galaxy hops and then Europe will be in financial turmoil.

Hang on, that's already happening. See what you've started.

I haven't made this recipe or used molasses so I can't help you there or comment on it.

My standard English Bitter recipe uses 1kg LDM, 200g Crystal and some hops. It is a great kit.

I would avoid using cascade and/or amarillo as these won't really suit the style. You would be best sticking to English style hops such as East Kent Golding, Styrian Golding, Fuggles etc.

I usually use EKG but I'm planning on using Styrian next time around.

Hi Hairy

I will be brewing the EB soon with 1kg of light DME and was thinking of dry hoping with some EKG hop flowers.

What quantity do you normally use?

I have made the ESB to the method on this site..... it clearly says how to add the Molasses and this would be one where I wouldn't substitute the BE1 for BE2 as I think it might make it a bit too sweet for my liking. This was not a beer to drink early so you should leave it be in bottles for at least 8 weeks imo.

A small hop addition may improve the result but I haven't tried.

Method:

Dissolve Coopers English Bitter, Brew Enhancer 1 and Molasses in 2 litres of hot water.

That's 8 weeks with the recipe ingredients amount suggested. i.e. 200g Molasses.

You may not need as long for it to blend with only 100g. I tried this early and I didn't like it. However, after sometime in the bottle I found it to be a nice drop and would probably do it again.

Archived