Coopers Community

American IPA Recipe Idea

josht4

Hi again,

I have a new recipe idea. I'm going to try my first go at steeping grains in a beefed up version of my last brew that's still conditioning for a couple more weeks (even tasted good out of the FV!).

I'm open to suggestions and feedback or general comments if someone else has made a similar brew.

The Benjamin Franklin (American IPA)

Thomas Coopers IPA Kit

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light LME

500g Coopers Light DME

500g CaraAmber steeped 30mins

14g Cascade plug boiled 15mins (slight bitterness and flavour)

84g Cascade plugs dry-hopped (aroma and some flavour)

20L volume

Predicted 6.8% alc.

TIA, Josh.

I called it the Ben as the first sip will hopefully be a shock to your system... [roll] In a good way of course! [biggrin]

I used 70g (5 plugs) in my last batch and it smelled/tasted great so I figured with the addition of a few extras like grain maybe more hops will be okay too.

Using US05 + kit yeast will work but you would be better off doing one or the other. You can also create a starter and step it up if you wanted. It will take a couple of days to prepare the yeast this way though.

"better off" in what way, Bill?

Innoculation of a brew with more than one yeast strain is quite common.

Maybe I should elaborate a little :)

Not always will he have the 2 different strains of yeast with him and by better off I mean so he can tell the difference of the result between the 2 then can take his pick later at which one he prefers.

Thanks for the replies! Yeast suggestions have been noted. What about the malts? Have I overdone the grain?

Another query, and I hope it's not a dumb question... Is there such a thing as a 'terminal velocity' for dry-hopping? What I mean is, is there a point where adding hops to a certain volume of brew reaches a point where no matter how much more you add there will be negligible effect? Reason I ask is they are not cheap and I'd like to use as little as possible but still get a good smack of flavour and aroma!

TIA!

Nah that amount of CaraAmber should be fine. However, if you want to save more than half of these hops you could get away with the following and your IBU will be 51.2 and it will still be within the style:

10g Cascade @ 15 min

10g Cascade @ 5 min

20g Cascade Dry

You could get away with a 7l boil and use all the DME in it and add the can of LME and IPA with about 1 minute to go.

Cheers for the tips Bill. About the boil process... Is it necessary to boil hops in a wort that has added DME/LME? What's stopping me from just boiling them in the steeped grain liquid? I guess that is a type of thin wort. If it were possible to do this and then add the grain/hops liquid, DME and cans to the FV separately it seems less hassle because I wouldn't have to spend time cooling anything.

I guess it is not neccessary. However, you will certainly not get the best result from your hops and the idea is to create a wort of about 1040 to get the best outcome from your hops. Also the result from the steeped grains will not be enough liquid for the boil.

People always find ways to cut corners but by doing so you can not expect as good a quality of outcome.

Paul or someone else maybe able to provide a better answer than I have but this is my understanding.

Hey Guys,

I've been meaning to make another IPA. It's a pain in the ass to get the TC IPA here in town. So this is what I've come up with.

IPA

1.7Kg OS Real Ale

1Kg LDM

566g Amber Malt (liquid)

30g Oak chips

20g Cascade 30mins

20g Nelson Sauvin 10mins

20g Cascade Dry Hop

21L water

US-o5 (brewed on the trub) And maybe 7g Cooper's Ale yeast?

I'd like to know what the US-05 and the kit yeast together would be like. Paul mentioned blending two or most yeasts. I hadn't really ever considered doing this. [cool]

I'd also like to know more about this really big quantity of late hops. What are some of the opinions from the guys who have tried this before? Good idea[love] or not[annoyed]? I have a lot of Cascade that I could do this sort of thing for experimental purposes.

Chad

I haven't used a combination of yeast before so I couldn't say what will happen (but I'll try anyway). I assume they will just go about their business as usual and you'll get some characteristics of each.

As for the late hop additions, I like hoppy ales so I think it looks good.

I don't think 20g @ 10min and 20g dry hop is anywhere near over the top.

Ah, now it makes sense. I thought you were being a little tame. I should have known better.

84g dry hopped is a huge addition. I assume that wouldn't be an early drinking beer; it may take a while to settle down.

Here is a link to PB2's Motueka Slam IPA:

Motueka Slam IPA

PB2 used 80g of Motueka dry hopped, but they were flowers not pellets.

He then upped it to 100g but thought this was too much.

Perhaps PB2 could shed some more light on it.

The OP refers to 84g of plugs - plugs are hop flowers, not pellets. Have pushed the dry hop boundary with Motueka but am yet to do the same with Cascade. If you haven't tried this yourself, it may pay to back the dry hop qty off a bit.

7g of dry combined with a slurry - there will be such a huge population of healthy yeast in the slurry that the dry yeast would not be required.

I'm enjoying reading this thread :)

Canadian Eh! got me thinking about woodchips! I played with a beer designer spreadsheet and came up with an experimental small batch of the following...

A TOAST TO BEN FRANKLIN!

Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale Kit

Light DME (500g)

CaraAmber (400g)

Toasted Hickory Woodchips (30g?) or Liquid Smoke (5ml?)

Cascade Plugs (1 Steeped, 2 Dry-Hopped)

Water up to 12L

7.2% Alc.

Comments?

Hi Josh,

This will be my first brew with the Oak chip. It is said to imitate the taste/aroma of the oak casks that IPA was shipped in to India. Have you ever tried an Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Ale? This is what I hope my brew will imitate.

I use liquid smoke in a Stout recipe.

Ol' Smoky Stout ABV5.6%

1.7Kg OS Stout

500g LDM

1Kg BE1

5ml Liquid Smoke (Hickory)

15g Cooper's Ale yeast

168g Dex (bulk primed)

21L water

OG 1.052 FG 1.014

This one is a very good clone of Guiness. The 5ml of liquid smoke is just right for 21L batch. It might be a bit much for 12L.

As far as the quantity of the wood chips I think 30g is about right for a 23L brew. What I'm wondering myself is when to add the chips? Should they go in the boil with the hops of just chuck them in at time of ferment?

Chad

Wow,new look for the forums since I was here last. I don't think the amount of hops the op is using is a huge amount. Not a lot of bittering at 15 mins.

And the dry hop will give some flavor,but mostly aroma. My "BuckIPA" got 6oz (170.1g) total. 4.5oz (127.58g) in the boil.

1.5oz (42.53g) dry hopped for 1 week. I used 42.53g each of Columbus,Nugget,& whole leaf Cascade in 3 additions in the boil.

Last 25 minutes for those additions. Not much bittering at all.

I used the last .5oz (14.18g) of each hop that remained to dry hop. We tried a bottle of it about a week ago,& the flavors were good. Lemon,grapefruit,& bitter orange with that earthy,spicy thing under that. The light toasty malt flavor needed more time to develop.

I based it on the OS draught can with 3lb bag of Munton's plain light DME. Got an OG of 1.050,FG of 1.010. Can't wait for our anniversary 8/27 to try it! It should be more rounded by then.

I used a small starter with the 7g ale sachet for about 6 hours. Had to rig a blow off tube.

Archived