Coopers Community

she's got the look

gilg

I need same help, I made a beer that looks the part but not the taste. This is what I used:

Beer kit can irish ale 1.7kg

Caramalt BIAB 100g (steeped)

Dark malt extract can 1.5kg

Yeast 11g ale (1599 on PKT)

23lt

Dry hoped day 4 15g (northdown i think)

OG 1035

FG 1005

Brew temp 20 22deg

wk 1 tried one dam good, wk 3 banana taste wk 5 smell toffey not as fruity. now lolly water as the wife calls it. Its like the taste is going in reverse.BUT LOOKS THE PART!!!!!!!!!!

img][img]img][img]

Thanks for the topic heading Gilg. Now I will have Roxette stuck in my head all day[pinched]

The ingredients look OK so I don't know what is causing your problem.

Fermenting at high temps can sometimes produce fruity esters but a standard ale yeast at 20-22 degrees is probably unlikely to cause that much.

When you say it now tastes like lolly water, what exactly does that mean?

Yeast 11g ale (1599 on PKT)

This doesn't make sense!!

Where did you get your yeast from?

Correct me if I am wrong someone but..... 1599, I believe is Saflager S-23 i.e. a Lager Yeast, not Ale! Therefore, your ferment temps were far too high. It is recommended to ferment this between 9C & 15C not 20C-22C.

thanks boys I think you hit the nail on the head. Yeast pack had 1599 on it.The beer kit can was a local product made over east from my LHBS.Larger beer how cruel.What did I do to him??

Anyone on a good irish ale can I could use.That will have the right yeast!Want to remake the beer as it looked great just lacked the taste.

I would be on their doorstep demanding either a replacement brew or a refund as it sounds like it was their fault for giving you the wrong information and yeast to start with which resulted in stuffing your brew and time.[devil]

what would be the most common method to make a beer.I have been told to stand the cans inthe sink in hot water then add to fermenter or add them to the grain pot to simmmer for 10 to 15min? theres dry hop and hop tea? whats the best way to do things.

ok had a beer or 3 thinking out loud here. Is 21 the magic number?

21 liters of water, 21g of yeast, 21 deg to brew. I see a pattern here boys.Is this what I'v been missing.do ya simmer the grain pot for 21 min?

No, there is no magic number.

What grains do you plan to simmer?... any specialty grains should only be steeped and not simmered at all. I suggest before you start getting into grain and hop additions just start with a can of goo and add 500g LDM and 500g Dextrose. Alternatively just add BE2.

Who in the world told you that you need 21g yeast?

With regards to hop additions it really depends what flavor, aroma and bitterness you are trying to achieve as to how long to boil, or not to boil, hops for.

Regarding cans of brew, I just sit mine in a jug of hot water for around 10 minutes or so. This does nothing to your brew all it does is make the substance more runny so it is easier to get out of the can.

just looking at most recipes on site range from 20 to 22ltr,

read a quote of 1g yeast per ltr of water.I could of miss understood.21 deg seems to be the av temp for brewing on this site.as for simmering maybe steeeping is a better word, would that be done for 21min? 21 seemed to stand out the most on most recipe's.

spell check whats that! Whens a grain a specialty grain?

Bloody smart this Kangaroo, it is the only one on the site with permanent spell check. Must me a mate of Paul's.

lol I have never noticed anytime that I don't have spell check on. Except for when the spelling is correct obviously [joyful]

just looking at most recipes on site range from 20 to 22ltr,

read a quote of 1g yeast per ltr of water.I could of miss understood.21 deg seems to be the av temp for brewing on this site.as for simmering maybe steeeping is a better word, would that be done for 21min? 21 seemed to stand out the most on most recipe's.

spell check whats that! Whens a grain a specialty grain?

That's probably because just about all single batches of brews are between 19 and 23L.

I reckon you read 1g of hops to dry hop per litre of water. Not to be confused with yeast.

Most people I know on this site and others try to brew at 18C-20C.

Specialty grains are usually steeped for 30-35 minutes

Gilg, if you really want to learn more about grains, hops, yeast and brewing in general then the best thing you could do is get yourself a book on the subject.

"How to Brew" by John Palmer is really good and isn't a chore to read. I highly recommend it.

There is also a web version. A link to this is below:

How to Brew by John Palmer

I prefer the book version though. It is a good reference book to have handy.

Also, after you have read it and then done a dozen brews or so, read it again. It makes more sense and things start to click.

Archived