Coopers Community

Just How Unreal is an Unreal Ale?

Ollie

Hey Fellas,

Got the ingredients at home for the Unreal Ale... I have never done it before and basically got it because, well I figured the name said it all.

Impatience being a very bad personal trait of mine I am dying to find out what it is like and I have not even brewed it yet!

Can anyone please tell me what it is similar too, a Pale Ale, Sparkling Ale... ???

Cheers Guys, interested to hear your thoughts [happy]

Ollie

I made it ages ago and duubed mine the decidedly average ale. I've still got a few bottles as I never bothered finishing it. I do recall haven't some fermentation issues though - I think the yeast stalled from memory - so that may have added to it it's averageness.

Having said that it has always been a popular so I seem to be the odd one out [biggrin]

It probably tastes closer to a sparkling but at the same time nothing like it...confused yet. I reckon the real ale kit has potential with some hops added but I've never gotten around to playing with it.

I made it a while ago also. However, I made it with a slight variation:

1 x Real Ale

750g LDM

500g Dextrose

Made to 21L

My notes say "try":

1 x Real Ale

1.25kg LDM or 1 can of LME

500g Dextrose

200g Pale Crystal

20g POR or Goldings @ 15 minutes

Coopers Recultured Yeast

Make to 23L

I didn't think it was such a bad drop and I didn't have any problems with the yeast stalling.

Muddy/Bill,

I actually was thinking of adding some hops to it like you both said... I have some EKG in the freezer that I want to use but was thinking of just dry hopping them probably two or three days in...

Bill judging by your "try" recipe you would recommend doing a boil for this mix yeah?

Do you think I would be wasting my hops by just doing a throw in and not a boil?

Ollie

It probably tastes closer to a sparkling but at the same time nothing like it...

Funny you say that, because last night i opened one that was in the bottle for 9 months (i forgot about them). To my taste, it was very similar to Sparkling - but as you said nothing like it. I was thinking, if the commercial yeast was used, it would come pretty bloody close to Sparkling.

Ive played with this kit, mainly adding Fuggles and some Crystal malt to get closer to an English style. I think it goes well slightly under priming as well.

I put down an Unreal Ale (made to recipe) in January. I noted at the time it had a slight "burnt" taste to it.

5 months down the track & if anything the "burnt" taste is a little stronger. Didn't have any issues when brewing.

I am not sure if anyone else has had that or if this is the normal taste for this beer. I put in my notes that it wasn't to my taste & probably wouldn't do this brew again.

My apologies to the creator of this recipe[crying]

I was thinking the burnt taste in this recipe of real ale might be a stronger version of the light.sweet toasty (not biscuity) Flavor I got in two of my ales.?...It's a reaction to the ingredients of the LDM mixing with the other constituents IMO.

The stronger the ale,the stronger the toasty quality,it seems.?

Archived