Coopers Community

Thomas Coopers Kits

Snags

No Worries - I didn't know I had until you mentioned clone brews and then I remembered some of my old files. I reckon you could simplify the recipe a fair bit but retain the hops schedule.

Well if any of you seasoned brewers would like to help me out with a simplified version, that'd be most appreciated!

Also, how do you find the clone brews compare to the originals?

Thanks again Muddy!

Hey Muddy,

Have you got any clone recipes for Vintage Ale? In all seriousness I've only just discovered it and I love it, I've got half a case of the real stuff stashed away now but would love to add it to my brew list [biggrin]

That recipe in Biermoasta's Link makes a great beer but make sure to age it at least 6 months. I used cascade in mine and it is delicious [love]

Well if any of you seasoned brewers would like to help me out with a simplified version, that'd be most appreciated!

Also, how do you find the clone brews compare to the originals?

I've never done a clone brew recipe so I'm not sure how good they are.

I just went through and changed the recipe to the following. You will need to get some grains for steeping for the first bit - You home brewing store should be able to help with this. It is worth getting a decent liquid yeast equivalent to the ones listed. I guess you could always drop the grains and give it a try but it will take further away from a Zywiec.

Zywiec Beer

Yield: 18.9 L

Final gravity: 1.012-1.013

Original gravity: 1.051-1.052

IBU 32

5% alcohol by volume

Crush and steep in \xbd gallon (1.9 L) 150\xb0L (65.5\xb0C) water for 20 minutes:

170g 2.5\xb0L German light crystal malt

230g German Munich malt

Strain the grain water into your brew pot. Sparge the grains with 2L water at 65.5\xb0C. Add water to the brew pot for 6L total volume. Bring the water to a boil, remove the pot from the stove, and add:

3 kg Coopers Light Malt Extract

60g Polishner Lublin @ 4.5% AA (9 HBU) (bittering hop) @ 45 mins

Add water until total volume in the brew pot is 9 L. Boil for 45 minutes then add:

7g German Hallertau Hersbrucker (flavor hop) @ 10 mins

Boil for 10 minutes then add:

7g German Hallertau Hersbrucker (aroma hop) @ 5 mins

Boil for 5 minutes, remove pot from the stove, and cool for 15 minutes. Strain the cooled wort into the primary fermenter and add cold water to obtain 19 L. When the wort temperature is under 26\xb0C, pitch your yeast.

1st choice: Wyeast's 2278 Czech Pilsner yeast (Ferment at 4-11\xb0C)

2nd choice: Wyeast's 2007 Pilsen lager yeast (Ferment at 4-11\xb0C)

Ferment in the primary fermenter 5-7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter.

Bottle as normal.

Thanks Muddy, you're a legend mate.[love]

I've heard from a few people Lublin is hard to get. What would be a decent replacement if I can't get my hands on that?

But yeah, I think I'll head to a Home brew shop as you suggest and see what I can get. Can't wait to give this a crack.[biggrin]

Thanks for all the help.

From a bit of research, I might be able to use Saaz or Tettnanger in replace of the Lublin.

Maybe I could go with Tettnanger/ Saaz as a bittering hop;

Hallertau as a flavor hop; and Saaz as aroma hop?

Going back to the beginning of the topic...

I'm doing 2 TC Pilsener back to back right now. First brew, I did the recommended receipe. Second one, I added 1.3 kg. liquid malt extract + 15g Saaz boil for 15 mins + 15g Saaz flame out. They were both made to 20 liters.

I've read 2 or 3 threads where they were recommending not to dry hop Saaz in the Pilsener because it was giving it a prononced grassy taste. They said it was better to boil or steep it. Anyone agreeing with this? Have you tried it?

Will let you know how it turns out.

For me' date=' Saaz as a dry hop can throw an asparagus like character. [/quote']

What about Tettnanger or Hallertau as a dry hop addition?

Or is it better do a short boil of the hops and just strain into the wort?

Archived