Coopers Community

os draught additions

LeonardC2

We had National Home Brewer's day here last Saturday,& some stuff I ordered from Midwest Supply arrived at 11:40am,in time for my wife to brew her 1st batch. It's Brewer's Best summer ale with grains,DME's,& LME. I'm told it's a clone of a Belgian White called Shock Top. She nailed her temps & everything,but it took till early evening. So I had to wait till Sunday to brew this...

1)can cooper's OS draught

1)3lb (1.362kg) bag Munton's plain light DME

1oz (30g)US Perle hop pellets

1oz (30g)Czech Saaz hop pellets

Brewed to 23L

Kit yeast re-hydrated in 1 1/2C warm water.

Got 2.5G (about 9.5L)water to boiling on stove,made 1.5C warm water with Pyrex measuring cup,quick check thermometer,& plastic wrap. Got down to 78F(25.5C),stirred in yeast sachet,recovered. When 5G (19L)(brew kettle boiled,I added all 3lbs (1.362kg)of DME,stirred in thoroughly. Got a small hot break,had to be stirred down.

Added 1oz (30g)US perle hops in sack & set timer for 20 mins. At 10 mins,added .5oz (15g)of Saaz hops in a sack. At flame out,remove/drain hop sacks,& add the other .5oz (15g)of Saaz hops,again in a sack. Place lid on BK,set timer for 10 mins. Remove/drain hop sack & set aside. Stir in can of cooper's OS draught,stiring to thoroughly incorporate. Replace lid.

Sanitize fermenter with star-san,put on dish rack to drain. Place BK in sink with ice bath,using floating thermometer to check till wort gets down to 70F(21C). Pour briskly into fermenter,top off to 23L & again stir briskly for a few mins to mix/aerate wort & water. Take hydrometer sample,noting reading,I got OG of 1.046. Stir re-hydrated yeast,pour into FV,cover tightly. I add cheap,grocery store vodka to my airlocks. So far,it looks to be a nice golden color when done.

It was brought to my attention to post in metric units of measure recently. I keep forgetting to post both units of measure so we're all on the same page. Sorry about that,folks. I'll try to remember from now on. Hope it makes things easier...[crying]

How's that muddy? Hope it's easier to read now. Having a pretty good day today. Gary Martin over at homebrewertv.com is filming a review My Summer Pale ale today. too bad my E-mail from at least a week ago with personal/beer info got lost. Had to re-type & re-send it all very early this morning. No coffee either[crying]. Anyway,I can't wait to see what he thinks of it in the segment he calls "the tasting room"! Should be fun. By the way,the fermentation on this brew has slowed down for the long haul a few days ago. The weather cooled down a little,finally. Should help it some.[love]

How's that muddy?

I guess my limited brain skills require some spaces between some lines where applicable. It's probably just me but when I see a huge lump of words tightly packed into a post I tend to skim read or skip the post (too much mental effort [innocent] ). I do make the effort with your posts as they are usually well written and informative.

But as I say it is probaby just me - I'm the kind of person who generally doesn't bother reading posts by people who are too lazy to capitilise the start of sentences or use basic punctuation [pinched]

Anyway, aside from my gibberish and non-sensical ranting, well done on getting your Summer Pale Ale immortalised on film [biggrin]

I must admitt, I am a bit like Muddy in the sence that I will just "skim" over the post and not actually read it.

Looking better now though Leonard and I have also seen you taken the effort for some metric conversion. Well done!!!... it makes it so much easier for the Aussie sites [cool]

Thanx guys. Gunna try harder to make my posts a bit more accurate/legible for all countries on here. Anyway,The episode of hombrewertv.com where he tastes my ale was posted today,#38. It was cool to watch him give his impressions. Too bad my original info e-mail got lost. Guess it's better to wait sending the info e-mail till the day before it's scheduled to be delivered to him. I used a cooper's label design to which I added a photo shopped pic to. Felt good to get some vindication on an ale I obsessed over. He gave it 3 thumbs up! That's his top rating![love]

I just checked out the show Leonard [biggrin]

He certainly liked your beer, I thought he was going to drink it all after just a small sample of the apricot wheat.

Nice one [cool] ...you'll have people stopping you in the street now asking for autographs [lol]

It was gratifying to see how much he was enjoying it! I too thought he was making every excuse to sip away at that ale. Three thumbs up is his highest rating. Cool thing to beat out a commercial brew with a cooper's can & some DME & hops. [innocent] And that was only my 2nd batch. Imagine what it'll be like in the future? I also have you guys to thank for all the knowledge put forth here as well. Thanx again!

Well,I pitched the yeast on May 8th with an OG of 1.046. Just took a hydrometer reading today,2 weeks & 3 days later. Got an initial FG of 1.010. It's a straw gold with a bit of amber blush. I think the US Perl & Czech Saaz hops need to mellow a bit. Tastes a bit bitter/sharp/spicy. But not in a bad way. Putting the DME in the boil to do 3 hop additions works way better. I think by the time it's bottled 3 weeks,it'll be great. I'm looking at 5.3%ABV as well,so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,after some life stuff getting in the way,I finally got this ale bottled yesterday. I got 66 12oz (355ml)bottles after bulk priming with 4.55oz (129g)of sugar for what should be 2.3 atmospheres,according to the priming calculator at brewheads.com. The beer was a bit bitter 1 week,& 3 days ago. Now it's a little too mellow. These hop additions are making me crazy trying to get them to last without either being bitter or overpowering,then little or nothing a week or 2 later. But,it was green beer,so we'll see around the 4th of July. But it's got a beautiful gold color,still a little amber to it. The flavor is a bit malty finally,the US Perle & Czech Saaz hops taste like they'll com through a bit more with aging/carbonation.

Hi Leonard,

I have been digging the OS draught kit these days. I am also a fan of the Perle and Saaz hops. I have a hard time imagining the combination. It doesn't sound like it would be too bitter to my taste. More important is the aroma. How is the aroma? i just find the OS draught kit and the Cascade dry hop to be a real winner. Maybe try dry hopping with Perle and saaz. go for 15g of each for a laugh. it might give an interesting twist and will not be so bitter.

I like using Perle hops with my honey brews. If you like hops here's a recipe to make your handlebar mustache hang on for dear life.[biggrin]

Real Honey Ale 5%

1.7 Kg Real Ale kit

510g honey

484g corn syrup

300g dex

23L water

7g cooper's kit yeast

10g Chinook 30mins

10g Cascade dry hopped

10g Perle dry hopped

185 white sugar (bulk prime)

OG 1.044 FG 1.010

Chad

ps you said that you bulk primed your brew with 129g of sugar. that seems low to me. did it carb up ok at that rate?[crying]

You stated you used cheap vodka in your airlock? Im just curious what the advantages of that are?

If it does accidently get sucked back into the brew it wont have any nasties growing in it. I found when I tried to do it using cheap vodka it would evaporate too quickly and I needed to replace it often.

It just got bottled 3 days ago,so nothing to report yet on aroma/flavor as yet. The cheap vodka doesn't evaporate that fast for me. But any nasties that could get in it past the holes in the airlock cap die of alcohol poisoning. Unlike water,where they thrive. So if I get a reverse pressure situation,no worries. They're all dead,& would settle out.

I can't wait to taste this latest version of pale ale. Not to mention,my wifes Belgian wit clone. And that real honey ale sounds like it might be fun to try with honey malt in place of the actual honey.?...

Well,after 8 days in the bottles,it turned out pretty good! Great fine,velvety head,lots of small bubbles in the carbonation. Beautiful amber/orange color,much like an IPA,just a bit lighter. Like a sunset gold color,so that's it's name,Sunset Gold.

The head even has a lemon tinge to some of them. The US Perl & Czech Saaz hops give it a smooth spiciness on the middle back. Very drinkable. Makes me think of it all round as an APA. The bulk priming worked out great! One ounce dextrose I had left,then topped off to 1C with table sugar in 2C hot water. Have to get pics later today.

This one is def going to be brewed as a house ale.

Ok,here's a pic of my latest pale ale made with the OS Draught kit as a base. My 1st APA,since it came out looking/tasting like APA's do. Minus all the citrusy hops,but smooth spicy Perle & Saaz instead. sunset gold

It has a light,toasty sweetness to the malt. Balanced by the smooth spiciness of the hops. Very pleasant on a hot day,will be putting this one in rotation.[love]

By the way,my wife's BB summer ale is way better at 12 days in the bottle. The bitter orange zest,lemon zest,& spices in this Belgian Wit are pretty darn good. So I guess this means I've been vindicated! Thought it was $52USD+ wasted.

But as an interesting aside,it cleared to a beautiful golden amber. So I renamed it "Sharie's Krystallwit",after the German "krystallweizen". Pics will be taken later.

Ok,here's apic of her ale;krystallwit

Archived