Coopers Community

different aussie pale ale

benken25

[bandit] I have been thinking of a recipe it goes like this

1 can aussie pale ale

500g dry wheat malt

500g light dry malt

500g dark dry malt

25g sazz motueka hop pellets half simmered for 10 mins and half dry hoped after 4 days.

any ideas on how it will turn besides colour will the dry dark malt add any different flavor to the brew.

thanks in advance for anyones insight[happy]

The dark malt addition should give some subtle coffee and choc aroma/flavour as well as colour (of course [tongue]) .

You'll pick up some bitterness from the 10min Motueka - it may be enough to balance the residual sweetness.

thanks for the replies its got me thinking would a dark ale or something be a better can to use i want a balanced beer not overly bitter but not sweet either how would the motueka hops go in a dark ale. any more sugestions [sideways]

• 2 weeks later...

I think,color-wise,you're going to get dark amber to light copper. The toasty flavor will be on the medium side of light. Maybe a hint of coffee.

But I might just use 60g of hops in,say,3 additions of 20mins,10mins,& 10min steep at flame out. You should get more flavor & aromas from the hops that way. Put the light & wheat malts in the boil of 9.5L. Should take about 5mins to stir it in,& get through a mini hot break.

Then do your hop additions as described. When the 10min steep at flame out is over,add the dark DME,then the pale ale can. This will help minimize darkening of the already dark DME when mixed with the cooper's can & the rest.

Stir it like it owes you money,then chill down to pitch temp in a sink of ice water. I understand that this also helps minimize chill haze later. But it will get you down to pitch temp a lot faster.

Thanks for the help guys But I ended up going with

1 can dark ale

500g dry wheat malt

500g dark malt

375g dextrose

15g sazz motueka hop pellets boiled with malt for 15mins

will dry hop 10g sazz motueka hop pellets halfway through fermentation

and kit yeast made into a starter the day befor

I have never seen a brew foam up like this i made it to 21L and it still foamed over [lol]

I'd made a starter for my pale ale I'd done a thread on here. That starter had krausen pushing at the lid early the next morning. It continued like that for 4 days,making the lid creak like an old wooden ship. Just maintain your brew temps,& you'll have a nice,clean ale! I gotta make that one again myself,it was grrrreat![love]

[biggrin] I full temp temp cotrol in a fridge best thing i ever did the brew is sitiing at a constant 18.c I only got 25g pack of sazz motueka hops i wont be able to get any more because i have to order it online the local home brew shop doesnt stock a wide range of hops.[crying] Would normal sazz hops to the job as well as the motueka dry hopped

Archived