Coopers Community

Toucan Dark Ale Draught

weggl

Had a 50/50 Tooheys Old and New last weekend, quite nice, got me wondering how toucan Coopers Dark and say Coopers Draught or Pale Ale would go. Any suggestions. What sort of hops, was thinking Fuggles.

Warren

Muddy, was thinking of a Coopers dark and another maybe real ale, pale ale, or draught with some fuggles thrown in for good measure. Yea a ready to go.

Anybody done a dark and light toucan? Just relised Smotty is just that, too bitter for me.

Weggl

G'day Weggl

I've got a SMOTY in the Fermentor at the moment and yes, it's very bitter beer. A Dark Ale kit is rather bitter on it's own and in a toucan will produce a very bitter beer when mixed with just about anything.

Have you tried out the Commercial Dark Ale recipe? It makes a damn fine beer and not too bitter, as it's based on a Draught kit. I'm yet to try it with any finishing hops, although Fuggles or Willamette would be a good choice IMHO.

Hope this helps.

When blending a dark beer and light beer together the result will have a colour somewhere in-between. The lighter beer is diluting the darker beer.

While adding two beer kits together in 23 litres will result in a brew darker than either kit. The lighter beer kit adds to the colour of the darker beer kit.

The first method is dilution while the second is addition

That answers alot of questions Paul. I guess the trick here would be to make a dark ale and a lager or something similar and mix them in the glass.

or like Borris suggest, the dark ale recipe or Irish in the HTB section, or something similar, like an Ale, Draught or English Bitter kit with some dark or amber malt (dry or wet) and some dex/sugar/honey/golden syrup/molasses etc. (or all of the above)brewed with recultured commercial coopers yeast. Try some grain steeping for something a little bit special!

Archived