Coopers Community

MEXICAN STUFF UP.

weggl

Was about to make a Mexican, had dissolved the Be2 in hot water, I was standing at the bench with 2 cans upside down on the lower shelf, reached down for the can of Mexican grabbed the can opener and found that I had opened an A/Pale Ale instead, horror! What to do, I did not want to make an A-PA so I remembered Luke\u2019s 2-can A-PA /Canadian recipe so I poured the A-PA and a can of Canadian -into the BE2. Luke recommended Amarillo 10g plus 10 g, but no boil times so I boiled 10g 5min and another 10 at flame out let it steep a couple of min and chucked the lot into the fermenter, topped up to 23L.

The OG was around 55, super fuel.

How do you blokes recon it will turn out? It has been fermenting 2 days now, should I ad a little extra water, to lower the A% or leave good enough alone.

Help!

Warren

I am a little interested in this one Weggl. I stuffed up my last brew too but I still have hope. How does it taste out of the fermenter, I hope it tastes alright.

I think the A-PA kit is pretty basic in flavour if I remember correctly so it may turn out very similar to a Canadian Blonde.

Leonard, Plain water.

Luke i took your suggestion and used just Amarillo.

Maybe sombody with a OG calculator could tell me what the OG should be with

BE2, Can Pale Ale, Can Canadian 23 L, because my little toy hydrometer would not measure it, was off the scale.

Weggl

Yea Muddy,

My toy hydrometer was down to the large part of the hydrometer so I estimated it at around 5.5 so your guestimate would probably be right.

Bought myself a new GLASS HYDROMETER, yesterday could not find a PLASTIC ONE. Thanks for the info.

Also, there must be available somewhere the value in points for all the Coopers Malts and Sugar mixtures, which one could use to calculate the OG while allowing for the water volume. Do you know if they are available?

• 2 weeks later...

If this beer survives it will me a miracle!

Not being a woman I should not try to do 2 things at once.

Time had come to bottle the Mexican Stuff up. I decided that I would make a Canadian Blond at the same time that

I was going to bottle the Stuff Up, bad decision.

Placed the Stuff Up fermenter on the bench in preparation to transfer the beer to another container for bulk priming, at the same time that I was preparing the yeast on the stir plate for the Canadian, cooling the Canadian and running around like a chook with no head. Mixed the sugar for the bulk prime, tossed it in the Stuff Up, gave it a good stir, then it hit me I had not transferred the beer to the other fermenter. I bottled 30 very, very cloudy bottles. They are almost white.

I must add that the taste I had when I took the FG, before the stir was very nice, great, with promise. I think I am going to have a Stuff up, Stuff up.

One thing is for sure the 30 bottles will make great yeast starters, there will probably be around an inch of yeast in each bottle.

Bugger!! Will give a report in a month, as to what it taste like.

Weggl

• 4 weeks later...

Well who would believe it, tried it after 28 days in the bottle. A heap of yeast in the bottles due to my second mistake of bulk priming in the fermenter without racking it, but it is a very good beer. A little too bitter but I expect this to mellow in about a month from now. Will give another report in about a month.

My mum use to make very good cakes, but if you asked her what she put in the mix she could not tell you, she just threw a bit of this and a bit of that. Maybe I have her touch. On reflection she did not break many things, Oh well![roll]

I brewed a Mexcerv a while back and thought I could reach a 'cleaner crisper' beer using a recultured lager yeast from a previous lager I brewed. I brewed it at a lower than normal temp in my endeavors to achieve this. What I ended up with was a really fruity Mexcerv, that wasn't particularly palatable. Thinking about it, I added saaz and hersbrucker hops to the lager I brewed originally with this yeast, and it also was 'fruity', bordering on funky, which I didn't know until after I used the yeast in the Mexcerv.

Anyway, I have stored it another 8-10 weeks and put one in the fridge last night. I'll sample it tonight and let you know how it turned out. It might need another 8-10 weeks[pinched] !

Archived