Coopers Community

Pale malt-Amber malt

weggl

As I have not been able to obtain an answer to my question regarding amber malt and pale malt from the topic on J S Amber Ale I am forced to start a new topic. I was however able to get a lot of answers on "Thanks Paul"

My original question was:

Paul,

Due to the problem of obtaining Coopers L Amber malt, how would your recipe for J/S PaleAle go with 1.2 of LME instead of the liquid malt?

Would the different between pale malt and light malt effect the taste or just the colour?

I didn't really follow the question either time. Firstly, what problems do you have obtaining liquid amber malt? It shouldn't be that hard - Go to Dave's and grab a can or substitute for dry amber malt. Or order from the good people at Coopers.

Using light malt over amber will affect taste and colour but not necessarily in a bad way.

What beer are you trying to emulate? There is no such thing as James Squire Pale Ale. Are we talking amber ale? If you are trying to make the amber ale you should get amber malt otherwise you'll just be making a pale ale (which while good will be nothing like an amber ale.

Yea, Muddy meant JS Amber. What I mean about the difficulty of obtain Coopers Amber is that I would have to go to Dave\u2019s. A pain in the bum going all that way.

As you have said he does not have Coopers Amber and to get it via Coopers store cost about $24. I don\u2019t need it that badly. So my question is would the taste be much different using LDME instead of Amber DME. Or is it just a colour change.

I am guessing here but I think Amber malt is probably cooked a little more than Light.

Which would lean more to the darker ale taste.

Yep, amber has a pretty unique taste - I don't know how I would describe it. Nutty perhaps?

What I tend to do is order about 6 cans from Coopers which justifies the excessive postage.

You will be making a totally different beer with light malt you could steep some grain as Dan suggested but you would have to go to Dave's to get that so you may as well get the amber malt. Either way a trip to North Sydney or a mail order is on the cards if you want to make an amber ale. I'd also suggest ordering some ingredients from Craftbrewer in QLD. You could get some hops from them while you're at it and the prices are good, the service excellent and the postage reasonable.

So my question is would the taste be much different using LDME instead of Amber DME. Or is it just a colour change.

I am guessing here but I think Amber malt is probably cooked a little more than Light.

Which would lean more to the darker ale taste.

Colour, Aroma and Flavour. It's not "cooked more" - no, the addtion of crystal and roast malt makes the difference.

• 6 months later...

I have a Partial Mash BIAB recipe I want to do again that calls for LDME. I have never used LDME and only have DME on hand. Local HBS does not stock LDME and when I questioned about it their response was that it would not change the flavor of the beer as it was only bleached DME. This sounds like BS to me.

My question is would Thomas Coopers Light Malt Extract be a suitable replacement for the LDME (adjusted volumes obviously)as I do not want this one to turn out too dark. Last time I did this one I used DME and while it tasted great it was a little darker than I was aiming for.

I think they might be right about the differance between DME (Dry Malt Extract) and LDME (Light Dry Malt Extract).

I wouldnt think it would change the taste (if I am correct in assuming they are the same or similar).

Yes you can use a can of Coopers Light Malt Extract but you will need to use more of the goo because it is watered down. The Coopers Light Malt Extract is LDME but mixed with water an made into a goo to make it easier for us to use.

Archived