Coopers Community

A new Brew

PB2

A new brew joins the International Series.

MEXICAN CERVEZA

1255.jpg

It should start appearing on the shelves in the next couple of weeks. Look for it in Supermarkets and Variety Stores.

We recommend the use of Brew Enhancer 2 with this brew.

Read more product details on our Home Brew page.

G'day Oliver,

the yeast is another blend of lager and ale strains. We find that these blends are working well for us. You could grab a straight lager yeast from a home brew store, pitch it with the supplied yeast and ferment at lower temperatures if you like.

• 1 month later...

I find that a wedge of lime gives a very refreshing taste. I served it up in clear bottles (decanted from PET bottles) with a wedge of lime and nobody asked questions. It could be argued that a wedge of citrus does nothing more than mask the flavour and aroma of the beer...but hey, all seemed to enjoy it.

Paul,

I have successfully brewed, kegged and drunk two of these brews. I used the BE2 (as recommended) plus an extra 100 gms of dextrose (as I artifcially carbonated them) and only filled the fermenter to 21 ltrs.

I can say that I and my imbibing friends agree that it is a very good light bodied beer - especially for drinking very cold on those hot summer days and nights as have recently have had here in Canbera.

Well done with formulating this brew.

Cheers

Peter (with the bar and the dogs)

p.s. I have another carbonating at the moment (too popular to do a secondary fermentation) and one in the fermenter.

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul,

I recently brewed a Mexican Cerveza as per instructions (using B.E. 2) in mid January it should will be ready by the end of this week. When I sample a bottle (or 2!) I'll let u know how it turned out!! :D

Also is it necessary to drink this beer with a wedge of lemon or lime?

Cheers, Ben. :P

G'day Ben,

It's not compulsory to drink Mexican Cerveza home brew with a wedge of lime or lemon but it is worth trying. Some like it while others don't.

Personally, I quite like a wedge of lime in a brew from time to time but I don't care much for lemon.

Try it for yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks 4 the tip with the wedge of lime Paul, I think it makes it that much better as a thirst quencher after a stinking hot summers day. A very good beer and I will be defiantly be adding it to my list of favourite summer brews for the future. Good job Coopers.

:D hi guy's i'm on the cerveza wagon, just tried my first bottle with BH 2

and it was awesome, have just bottled a second brew using dextrose,

it took longer to brew and finished with a much lower s.g. so i'll be back

in a couple of weeks to let you know the outcome

1. Does the extra hundred grams of dextrose or honey go in at the comencement of fermentation.

2. Are people using the carbonation drops or are you bulk priming the cerveza.

3. Does the extra dextrose or honey make for a better brew.

As the heading says excuse my ignorance i am new to home brewing but have a reasonable success rate would like to make this an excellent success rate.

Cheers

Andrew

Com'on guys! There may be many valid reasons for not using Coopers Carbonation Drops and there is no doubt that it is up to your personal preference.

but

"too slow to dissolve" - The drops only take around one hour to dissolve in beer without any need for shaking or inverting the bottles. When you consider how long you leave your bottles to condition, one hour makes little difference.

The best sugar - the sugar that is most convenient for your purposes.

In the case of the Mexican Cerveza Home Brew:- When developing the recipe I primed at the rate of 8g/litre using white sugar.

This gave a carbonation level of around 3.3vol. Carbonation Drops should give you a similar result.

You could prime your bottles with any source of sugar that ferments. Prime with any other fermentable and you will need to take into account the fermentability to get the dosage right.

At the brewery we prime our conditioned ales with liquid sugar (as our Master Brewers say, "it's convenient, reliable and effective").

for the awesome brew i mentioned before i used the carbonation drops,

agree with paul 100% the time to disolve is no hassle, and they are

easier to dispense than sugar, even considering the cost difference

i use em everytime, normally buying three packs at a time and sealing them in an air tight container,

the other bonus is you can suck on a couple while your bottling your Brew !!!

Found out today at the local brew shop that the people who make the Kangabrew have gone out of business. :(

Sorry Paul, when I used the drops they were still sitting in the bottom of the bottle after a week. (They looked like a flimsy clear jelly bean)

Don't be sorry guys! It is just a matter of using carbo drops if it suits your purposes. I use them at work most of the time. However, if I want to get a more accurate priming rate for trial brews I measure out white sugar.

At home, using white sugar, I have one of those Kanga things (must be about 15 years old now) for priming my swing-top bottles and I use 1/3 cup of white sugar per keg (natural conditioning). :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

another champion product, just followed the instructions to the letter and it turned to be my best brew ever, very happy :D

with or without lime//lemons it fantastic.

just wondering if The Mexical will be brewed and sold as another premium product, i think it would be popular in the bottle shop.

Dave

Archived