Coopers Community

Light Nelson Ale

PB2

So I had an empty keg and was looking to make a light ale for Christmas day, so the relatives don't get too silly (early) [roll]

I had no time to brew an all-grain and I had no beer kits handy. [pinched]

What to do....decided on using Light Dry Malt....here's the recipe:

1.5kg Light Dry Malt

100g Crystal Malt grain

25g Centennial Hop Pellets (boil)

20g Nelson Sauvin Pellets (flame-out)

25g Nelson Sauvin (dry Hop)

500g of Light Dry Malt brought to the boil in 4 litres of water.

Add centennial hops for 30mins

Add cracked Crystal Malt - grains shouldn't be boiled because of the possible tannin extraction but 100g can't hurt, just 1 minute to pasteurise butnot too much to extract an offensive level of tannins [rightful] [innocent]

Off the boil and add 20g NS hops

Mix with the other 1kg of Light Dry Malt in the FV and bring up to 21 litres.

Ferment close to 20C, I used Mexican Cerveza yeast but any ale yeast that you like could be used. [biggrin]

Dry hop with the remaining 25g Nelson Sauvin Hops pellets.

I dropped this into keg with a couple of left-over PETs.

Tasted a PET today - yeah baby [love] that's 1hr of mixing time well spent - this beer jumps out of the glass with a blend of sweet floral aromatics while the flavour carries through from mouthful to mouthful. Would never pick it as low alcohol and who cares, anyway [joyful]

I'm salivating now Paul and it is certainly not from the cereal I'm eating - That sounds pretty good [love]

I'm a fan of Centennial but am yet to try Nelson Sauvin. Maybe I'll steal your recipe but go the full nelson (or maybe a mid nelson - not really a fan of light beers [rightful] )

Thanks for sharing [cool]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

With the footy season fast approaching this recipe is looking good to have a crack at (so I don't get too silly watching the Pies go back to back.... [rightful] )

I do have a couple of questions...

I don't have Centennial on hand - could I swap this with Cascade? I would guess this would come out more like fat yak then??

Also how long would you leave this in the bottle before ripping into it? It's mighty hoppy brew - I would say early on it would be pretty bitter?

Cheers and beers.

I have this brew on tap at the mo' - very excellent[love]

Replacing Centennial with Cascade will result in a slightly less bitter brew - you could be drinking this brew after one week in the bottle. Tastes great straight out of the FV, prior to bottling. [biggrin]

I am a little frightened about how bitter this will be..

Was thinking of maybe backing off the hops to something like this:

20g cascade 20 min

10g nelson 20 min

15g nelson 0 min

Or should I do it as per recipe - would there be much difference?

Thanks.

• 2 months later...
1.5kg Light Dry Malt

100g Crystal Malt grain

25g Centennial Hop Pellets (boil)

20g Nelson Sauvin Pellets (flame-out)

25g Nelson Sauvin (dry Hop)

Paul - I reckon it's time for me to give the Nelson Sauvin hops a go and thought I'd give your recipe a whirl. However, I want to lose the "Light" from "Light Nelson Ale" and up the LDM to 2.5kg. Do you reckon this would do it justice?

• 2 months later...
I was wondering if this recipe would work using a can of light liquid malt and 500grms of dextrose instead of the 1.5kg of LDME?

Cheers

Not exactly.

Don't use the Dextrose and use 1.875kg Liquid Malt and it should be the same.

Or....

You could always use the can of LME (1.5kg) and only 250g dextrose. Although this won't be the same it will be pretty close.

Well then, to keep SWMBO happy, I would do the alternative I gave you, which you already have. i.e 1 can of LME and 250g dex. It wont be exactly the same but there wont be a lot of difference and it will still be a nice drop.

Archived