Coopers Community

Golden Ale

Greg

G'day all,

Made this brew up the other week and i thought id share the recipe with everyone.

1 can of coopers wheat liquid malt extract

1 can of coopers amber liquid malt extract

250g dextrose

150g crystal steeped for 30 minutes

boil volume 6 litres with roughly half of one of the tins of malt extract and the rest at completion of boil.

30g Amerillo @ 30 mins

15g Amerillo @ 10 mins

30g Amerillo dry hop after 3 days of active fermentation.

Cracked one tonight after just 2 weeks in the bottle, and its a nice drop. A little bitter, but hopefully will mellow out a bit more. Not as good as the James Squire Golden Ale, but a close clone. Should hopefully improve alot with age.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi Greg,

After my first attempt with Amarillo hops, I'm also interested in attempting a golden ale in the future. Not really wanting to make an exact JSGA clone, this is what I had in mind:

1 Can Aust Pale Ale

1 Can Liquid Wheat Malt

15g Amarillo @ 20 mins

20g Amarillo @ 5 mins

15g Amarillo @ 0 mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped in fermenter

Safale US-05 Yeast

Not really having a full understanding of hops, any input to how this might turn out?

Let us know how yours develops with some bottle age.

Cheers, Bear

Hi Bear,

Personally, i think the 15g Amarillo at 20 mins would extract a bit to much bitterness, considering you are already using a bittered can of malt extract. For the style not being that bitter, perhaps try:

25g @ 10mins

15 - 30g dry hop after 3 days of active fermentation.

I think you only want late hop additions when you are using a pre hopped mix.

Maybe steep some crystal to get some colour, 100 - 150g should do it.

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale always goes down a treat [love] :

JSGA (Dr Smurto)

1 can Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Wheat malt extract (liquid)

15g amarillo at 15mins

15g amarillo at 5mins

15g amarillo @ 7days

Yeast: US-05

20degC

1 week primary, 1 week secondary (dry hopped)

The extract version is also great. Check out the AG, extract and kit versions of his JSGA recipe at HERE on the AHB site.

• 2 weeks later...

After an additional 2 week, so 4 weeks in the bottle, the bitterness in this has mellowed quite a bit. It has actually turned out unbelievable, to my taste. I think the bitterness is quite high when compared to the style, so if i were to do it again, id reduce 30g @ 30min to perhaps 20g @30min. mmmm i love the amarillo aroma. Very very plesent to drink[love]

• 4 months later...
Hi Greg,

After my first attempt with Amarillo hops, I'm also interested in attempting a golden ale in the future. Not really wanting to make an exact JSGA clone, this is what I had in mind:

1 Can Aust Pale Ale

1 Can Liquid Wheat Malt

15g Amarillo @ 20 mins

20g Amarillo @ 5 mins

15g Amarillo @ 0 mins

15g Amarillo dry hopped in fermenter

Safale US-05 Yeast

Not really having a full understanding of hops, any input to how this might turn out?

Let us know how yours develops with some bottle age.

Cheers, Bear

Sounds good, I might get some Amo hops and try this one with my other can of APA.

This sounds a lot like what I'm doing with my Pale Ale (separate post). I thought that since I'm using one can hopped LME,& one bag un-hopped SDME,that the 1oz (about 30g) of Kent goldings would give a lot more flavor without too much bittering. It's only 4.5% alpha acid anyway. And the Willamette is only 4.7%. Just as two examples of low acid hops. Some hops may be favored for their flavor profile,but may be high in alpha acids. That's where the bittering comes from when hops are boiled long enough. So how long you boil depends on whether you want more bittering,or just flavor & aroma,as I desire with mine.?...

Will do, I had afew knappstein special reserves which have the nelson sauvin and thought they were pretty interesting. I think the 2010 Coopers XSVA has them also.

I am planning on using the NS in the amber ale recipe (or something close) on the next thread.

I am using recultured sparkling ale yeast ATM, will it make a difference rather than the SAfale 05?

• 1 month later...

I have made 2 JS Golden Ales, the second I won\u2019t speak about, but I found this one A1

1 can Coopers Pale Ale

500LDME

500LDME/Wheat

15gm Amarillo for 15 min

15gm Amarillo at 5 min

12gm Amarillo at flame out

12 gm Cascade at flame out

23l

Coopers re-cultured yeast

Warren

• 2 weeks later...
What are you planning with the Nelson hops Trusty?

I haven't used them before - let us know how it turns out.

holy moly, I tried a coopers original series draught with Amarillo hops Longy last night, after only 17 days in the keg (along with about 5 Longies), it is by far the best beer I have brewed! I can't wait to stick the keg in the fridge and knock it over. I am at work ATM and can't remember the exact recipe, but [kissing] geeeeze[love] I can't stop gushing over this beer. WOW!

I will get back with the recipe, including the hop schedule later. If you only do one beer this month, do this!

Trusty, great minds must think alike, I brewed this on last week, will compare notes when I crack one.

Can Coopers Original Draught

1Kg COOP BREWING SUGAR

10g AMARILLO BOILED 15 MIN

12 g CASCADE BOIL 5MIN

Coopers cultured yeast

23L

Warren

From the info I can find, my recipe was:

\u2022\t1 can of Coopers Original Series Draught

\u2022\t1 kg of BE1

\u2022\t15gms Amarillo hops boiled 15mins in 3L of water with 0.5 cups of white sugar

\u2022\t5gms Amarillo hops boiled 5 mins and another 5 min stand after flameout (or ceramic off in my case)

\u2022\tFilled to 21.5 L

No OG

FG was 1009 (with dodgy brig hydro)

Used Coopers International series yeast and brewed between 14-18oC for 3 weeks and naturally carbed with 1/3 cup of white sugar in the keg and 2 carb drops in each of the 3 longies left over.

Still gushing at the thought of this beer!

And NO IODINE taste![w00t]

• 2 weeks later...

This is one beer I would like to emulate the JSGA, and have failed but still made some incredible beer in attempting it. Gotta love that!

Trusty1 I'm going to try your recipe I think. I just need to know a bit more about this terminology for the hops.

15g @ 15mins means add 15g of hops to the boil for 15mins?

Sorry for the newby question, if I don't ask though it'll likely be a monumental f-up. I want to understand this clearly before I proceed to make an ass of myself and my beer.

Any help greatly appreciated

15g amarillo at 15mins

15g amarillo at 5mins

15g amarillo @ 7days

So this means 15g for 15mins, then in the same pot add another 15g for 5 mins? Or in a separate pot reboil and add both mixtures to the fermenter? Do you allow this to cool before you put it in the fermenter?

Then for the 7 day addition, I take it you add that to your fermenter. Does it go into a secondary fermenter? Do you put it in a teabag to steep or just chuck it in?

My fermenter is still running at 24C so looks like I'll have to wait until later in the year to try a brew at cooler temps. Good thing I like ales.

boil 15g amarillo for 10 minutes then add another 15g amarillo to this and continue to boil for another 5 minutes.

Put 15g amarillo in the fermenter after 7 days. This can be just thrown in or wrap up in a chux cloth fresh out of the bag.

Yea, Muddy I made the good Dr's G/A was good but not as good as the one I posted. Some of the young blokes around here who go to the Steyne pub in Manly and drink all the fancy beers on tap (they have a lot) reckon mine was the ants pants.

[pinched]

\u2022\t1 kg of BE1

\u2022\t15gms Amarillo hops boiled 15mins in 3L of water with 0.5 cups of white sugar

\u2022\t5gms Amarillo hops boiled 5 mins and another 5 min stand after flameout (or ceramic off in my case)

\u2022\tFilled to 21.5 L

No OG

Used Coopers International series yeast and brewed between 14-18oC for 3 weeks and naturally carbed with 1/3 cup of white sugar in the keg and 2 carb drops in each of the 3 longies left over.

Hey Trusty,

This sounds really nice I am going to give it a go. I have never done a draught and I have just got a kegging system and have previously just done ales and reading this inspired me to give something new a go!!![joyful] ...Out of interest how long are you planning on leaving it the keg before you think it will be at its best?

And did you have the fermenter in a fridge for those three weeks between 14-18oC?? If so were you changing that temp range during this time? My fridge has a thermostat so I could do this if you think it would be beneficial??

Cheers mate [cool]

PS why would you get an Iodine taste?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am still in the learning phase for this home brewing stuff!

[pinched]

\u2022\t1 kg of BE1

\u2022\tFilled to 21.5 L

No OG

Hey Trusty,

This sounds really nice I am going to give it a go. I have never done a draught and I have just got a kegging system and have previously just done ales and reading this inspired me to give something new a go!!![joyful] ...Out of interest how long are you planning on leaving it the keg before you think it will be at its best?

And did you have the fermenter in a fridge for those three weeks between 14-18oC?? If so were you changing that temp range during this time? My fridge has a thermostat so I could do this if you think it would be beneficial??

Cheers mate [cool]

PS why would you get an Iodine taste?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am still in the learning phase for this home brewing stuff!

Don't worry about the Iodine taste... Trusty is talking of a previous problem he had a while ago and just made a joke of it. Nothing to do with what you are doing.

It wouldn't really matter if you have the FV in a fridge or not provided you can keep that temp range it'll work. however, if you have a fridge then that makes it easy for you.

You can drink beer in the keg as soon as it is carbed. However, green beer is still green beer and it will condition just like it does in bottles.

Archived