Coopers Community

Random toucan experiment

Kearnage

hey all [happy]

im just about to put down a honey draught, so im thinking that i might try a toucan next. somthing like

coopers Draught

coopers Mexican Cerveza

800g Dex

my calc put this at - OG 1059 FG 1012 with bottle prime 6.6%

for this batch i was thinking of being my intro to Hops, does anyone have suggestions for what type of hops would go well with this toucan and some boil times? i dont want to make it to bitter mostly after some nice hop flavour / aroma.

THX

CHEERS

It all depends what you are after. Lager or Ale? American or English?

My calcs put it at OG 1056 & FG 1015. Bottle prime looking at about 5.9 - 6%.

For both kits you are looking at about 39IBU (for 23L) before any additional hop additions. So they need to be very late and low AA%

It all depends what you are after. Lager or Ale? American or English?

ill proberbly hitting more towards an American type ale, but not to fussed, was just after peoples thoughts as this will be my first toucan & first hop'n...... i just want to experiment a little[lol]

Ok, I'd go for the good old Cascade.

Just do a 1L boil with 100grms of your Dex.

10.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (10 min) Hops 3.1 IBU

15.00 gm Cascade [7.80 %] (0 min)@ flameout(Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops

This will give you an extra 3.1 IBU so total of about 42. Quite a hoppy beer but not much you can do. The AA% of what you buy may be different so keep that in mind.

I would also ferment wih US05.

yeah i was thinking about the US05 - nice to see you confirm that idea [happy] & i'll follow suit by going out to buy 25g Cascade in the next week[happy]

just wondering @flameout when you throw the other 15g in how long should it steep for?

thx for advice[biggrin] [happy] [biggrin]

CHEERS

Just get 100grm bag of hops. Seal in a ziplock and chuck it in the freezer. You may also want to dry hop about 15 - 20 grms as well.

I normally leave it to steep about 5 - 10 mins. (Enough time to finish sanitising the fermenter and put in the other fermentables).

kool..... i think ill leave the dry hop till another batch, i dont wanna go to much on my first try, just somthing to get my bearings then build on it from there.

thx heeps for all the advice/tips[happy]

CHEERS

Fair call... I'm not one for dry hopping anyway. I try to forget about my brews for 2 weeks while they ferment. Kinda hard though when I go into the walk in robe and all I can smell is Cascade or NS.. [lol]

when I go into the walk in robe

just as i read that bit i had this picture in my head of that TV Ad where the chicks go into there W/in robe full of shoes & the guys go into theirs full of chilled beer [lol] [lol] [lol]

now how can i get one of them ( the beer robe that is )

• 6 months later...

Sorry to dredge up an old conversation... Kearnage, last night I put down a toucan experiment that sounds very similar to that which started off this conversation. My recipe is:

1 x can Coopers Original Dark Ale

1 x can Coopers Original Lager

500gms LDME

500gms Brown Sugar

both yeast packets made as a starter

Yeast pitched at 28degs and the temp has been brought down to a steady 18degs now.

Would love to know how yours turned out? I am planning on cellaring mine for 6 months or so.

Actually, now that it is a bit over 6 months old, it is pretty good. Certainly not to everyone's taste, the closest I can get is some of the Belgian high alcohol dark beers, it's pretty complex. As a newbie mistake I had the roast barley boiling for a while and I think there was a bit of tannin but that has settled down. It has a pretty big warm alcohol kick too, a 'one at a time' beer.

I think yours should work out well, but be patient with it!

Cheers

Dan

I hate the way this site boots me off if I goto another tab for info or something! Anyway,I went to the germanbeerinstitue.com,where I found a sort of medieval rye ale called "Roggenbier". It's about half malted barley,with equal parts wheat & rye malt. I saw these the last time I was at JW Dover brew supply (they have a website too). They say the yeast turbid ones are the more authentic versions of the style. They also say that it goes very well with BBQ'd pork! Yummy!! You might want to go to the site for a more complete description of the beer. Talk about happy accidents! Hope you enjoy it. Cheers m8!

• 2 years later...

G'day All, I'm still alive and brewing. Haven't been on the site for ages. I am seeking some opinions if anybody can help. I use Coopers products 90% of the time, however recently I was in Big W and saw Touhey's Special Draught @ 8 bucks a can. I immediately thought, "Toucan!". I am now tasting it and it's not bad. I used both yeast packets and after a week I added a Coopers yeast because I thought it needed it. The finishing gravity according to my old whatayacallit was 1.16. The ferment was a bit on the weak side, I thought. Brewed at about 20 degrees for 13 days. The beer tastes good, but is the fermentation complete with this finishing gravity? It seems a bit high. I forgot to take the orginal gravity. Any ideas?

Hi JDB.

I'm guessing you are asking whether the 1.016 gravity is the final gravity for this brew? [unsure]

For anyone to give you anything close to some accuracy, we'd need to know what volume you fermented the beer at (i.e 19, 21 or 23 litres etc.).

Did you add anything else into the brew besides the two cans of Toohey's?

The added yeast part way through the brew does also make accurate expected Final Gravity readings hard to predict. [unsure]

Sorry I can't give you any definitives, but unconventional brews produces unconventional results. That said, if your hydrometer readings over several days are the same, your brew should have finished primary fermenting & should be safe to bottle.

I hope the brew turns out well for you.

Cheers,

Anthony.

Thanks BeerLust, I made the brew up to 23 litres. Added nothing else, just the two cans of Touhey's Special Draught. I added the extra Coopers yeast half way through because it looked like the orginal Touhey's yeast had not done the job properly. I had similar hydrometre readings before I kegged it and it certainly doesn't taste sweet or "syrupy". I'm really just wondering if a brew should finish with such a high gravity?

Archived