Coopers Community

Irish Red Ale

ChrisM8

G'day!

I put this brew in 3 days ago.

Irish Red Ale

Now, the thing is...my LHBS gave me Roasted MALT instead of Roasted BARLEY.[crying]

I didn't pick this up until I got home...[roll]

It is my understanding that roast barley is unmalted

So, I presume I've just brewed an Irish BROWN Ale!

As it is still actively fermenting - I pitched a pack of Safale US-05 yeast (my fave ale yeast) as well as the yeast supplied under the lid of the Coopers Pale Ale (also standard practice of mine - to double pitch yeast).

My question is...can I get some Roasted Barley & throw that into the fermenter now???

Cheers!

[alien]

I have also got the irish red ale in the fermenter...and now have lots of crystal and roasted barley leftover: any suggestions as to what else they can be used in gratefully accepted (yes, i'm a novice!)

200g of crystal is an interesting addition to most brews.

Remember crystal will leave the brew sweeter so add it to a brew already high in bitterness - English Bitter is a good example.

100g of Roasted Barley in the Irish Stout - yeah!

• 1 month later...

You're doing fine. The recipe is mid-strength but it also suggests a variation to make a full strength version. So it could quite easily be listed in both mid-strength and ale categories...

I'm also interested in brewing this one, but when shopping for crystal malt i am confronted with "crystal 10", "crystal 15", "crystal 45", "crystal 77", "crystal 120", and "crystal 150"

these are not weights but something else. All the descriptions are the same "Crystal enhances body and malt aroma while imparting varying levels of color." so which should I pick for a good irish red?

I'm also interested in brewing this one, but when shopping for crystal malt i am confronted with "crystal 10", "crystal 15", "crystal 45", "crystal 77", "crystal 120", and "crystal 150"

these are not weights but something else. All the descriptions are the same "Crystal enhances body and malt aroma while imparting varying levels of color." so which should I pick for a good irish red?

I'd say it is the EBC of the grains (colour). Never made an Irish Red so not sure which one to go for. Also depends what else you are using. If you went for the 10 or 15 it won't make much of a colour impact and you can use it with other lighter beers.

hey all!

sitting here drinking some of this loverly ale...thinking the recipe could do with some tweaking???

don't get me wrong! after 3 weeks bottle conditioning this is quite a nice drop & one i might replicate for summer?[cool]

it seems to be lacking something?[bandit] substance & taste...maybe the addition of more malt &/or hops?

i'm leaning to the more malt & maybe some maltodextrose for body.

again, this will be a fantastic summer brew as is, nice & light & very easy to drink!

thanks for the recipe & inspiration to all at Cooper's!

the roasted malt turned out just fine![happy]

[alien] cheers!

these are not weights but something else.

Just ask the shop assistant!!!!

The numbers are the colour rating in the American "Lovibond" scale, made up by Mr. Lovibond...[roll] [biggrin]

I think converting Lovibond to EBC you divide Lovibond by 2 (I think that's a very rough guide by memory)

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is the next brew that I am planning to go into my keg after I have finished my slightly tweaked Australian Pale Ale (500g Light DME, 40g Cascade dry hop all to 20L). The APA is very nice, but very light in flavour, does the 20L Irish Red Ale recipe gain any flavour from the grains, or are they just there to give the ale it's reddy brown colour?

Crystal malt will give your beer more of a caramel, biscuity flavour as well as changing the colour.

The recipe calls for 100g Crystal Malt which isn't a huge amount but then again, it is a mid-strength beer with less fermentables. You don't want the crystal to be a large percentage of your ingredients.

You could push it up to 200g if you want more flavour from it.

• 1 year later...

Looking at brewing this tomorrow but increasing the light dry malt to 1kg. According to IanH's beer designer it'll fit in better with the style and will increase the ABV to 4.9% when made to 21L.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Archived