1 can Aust. Pale Ale

10g PoR hops

10g Amarillo hops

Both kit yeasts (re-hydrated)

Made to 23lt

Fermenting at 20deg

OG 1.045

You would be correct, Paul!

It was 18 when I pitched and I've let it free rise since then.

it's been sitting at about 20 since!

The brew room hasn't got any ducted heating which is good!

The temp controlled fridge has my AG stout conditioning which should be ready for Essendon v West Coast on Friday night!

I see you have that bad boi up on stilts, does it help with temp control much? Have just put mine up on a couple of dvd cases to see how much it help with temp control and air circulation. Interested to see hear how your creation turns out.

Oktoberfest amber lager sounds good.

Martyn.

Oh yeah! Wont be long before I have them back anyways as its set to be 27c plus here over the next week so cant see my brew lasting 2 weeks at 20c in the fermenter.

After the fermentation has completed, say after 7 days, does temp control matter after that if I left it to sit, without trying to keep the temp down, for another 7 days?

I would assume that temp control matters even after fermentation has completed as the beer is still sitting on the yeast and all the unwanted by products of fermentation.

Hopefully PB2 or someone more knowledgeable than myself can give you actual reasons why it is a bad thing.

The first few days is when it's most important to get the temp' right, as this is when the majority of fermentation flavours and aromas are produced.

Having said that, the idea is to keep the temp' reasonably constant once fermentation activity has subsided (+/- 5C).

During secondary fermentation, keep the bottles at or above 18C.

It looks to me like Luke just has the front raised to keep the trub and sediment clear of the tap???

Yep, nothing to do with air circulation. Just a tip I learned off this very site somewhere....

You could let the brew temp raise a little at the end of fermentation so the yeast can clean up a few dodgy flavours.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

By the way, drinking this now and very nice!

I'll probably drop the PoR hop addition and double the Amarillo next time. (Has a harsh kind of back of the palate thing which I reckon is the PoR, but is really not a major issue! Still good drinking!)

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm back after a fairly long hiatus!!!!

The time factor of browsing all the new posts was huge since the site went public, so had to prioritise!

Hey Warren, I checked my notes on this one and gently boiled both hops for 10 minutes.

Hey Leonard,

I use a 10lt pot and mix my kits with a few litres of hot water in the pot. I only really gently boil it (against PB2's advice!) and cool it down in the sink when I'm done. I don't use hop bags, I throw the pellets straight in!

Thanx,Luke. My SDME is un-hoped,so I hoped it'd be ok to boil (or should I say,heavy simmer?)it for a total of 15 mins. I thought to toss an ounce of Kent Golding in,then set timer for 15 mins. After ten mins,toss in the Willamette,since it's mostly an aroma hop anyway. Albeit the best in the US they say. I guess I'll follow my original plan,except use only 1 gallon of boiling water,since the kit instructions say to use 2L (about .582 gallons).

Archived