Coopers Community

Smoty Ale

John

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have had a look through the Smoty Ale posts, could not find an answer to my question, which is \u2022\t1.7kg Coopers Australian Pale Ale beer kit

\u2022\t1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale beer kit

\u2022\t10g East Kent Golding pellets \u2013 15 mins

\u2022\t20g East Kent Golding pellets \u2013 steep

\u2022\tBoth sachets of yeast or ale yeast of your choice

is the first lot boiled for 15 min and how long to steep the second lot?

Sorry ignore this question I did not read instructions properly

Warren

Smoty Ale

Made a Smoty today Sun, as per the recipe from \u201cHow to brew\u201d I pulled off about 200ml before I took a reading, it was around 60, is this correct? I could not get an accurate reading because the hydrometer I have is a bit of a dud, its one that Big W sell, not Coopers, I forget the brand, it only reads to 48 then you have to guess the rest, the stem increases in size after about 50 and this was well into the large area of the hydrometer. I believe Coopers have plastic ones now, but where can we buy them?

Anybody know what the OG of Smoty should be.[roll]

Warren

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone.

I was thinking of giving this recipe a go for my second brew.

I'm unable to get my hands on any east kent goldings at the moment but can get Styrian goldings.

I was wondering if anyone knows would the recipe work with the styrian instead of east kent?

Thanks,

Stu.

Hi again everyone.

I was just wondering has anyone ever done this brew using safale S-04 yeast? I got some from my LHBS and he said its really good. I'm completely unexperienced with other types of yeast [innocent] Anyone think this yeast would be good for this recipe? Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,

Stu.

• 3 weeks later...

I just went to Big W on the weekend and bought a dark ale and a pale ale (Cooper's of course) so I could make them separately. Now that I have spotted this recipe I have to give it a go. What a fluke!

Just wondering, what sort of temperature range is recommended for this to ferment at? Mine will be likely to go at 24-26C I reckon. Should I go ahead if this is the case?

It will ferment out and I have brewed the Pale Ale and Dark Ale at this temperature with great success.

In saying this I would be trying to lower the temperature to around the 20C mark as it will create less off flavours etc.

So I've put down the SMOTY Ale. There could be some problems...

1 I put in about double the hops at both stages. Think I need new scales to measure out hops. Time to buy some from eBay. Any tips on which digital scales to buy?

2 The fermenter was at 32C when it was ready to pitch the yeast. I left it 2 hrs and it went down to 30C. Made the executive decision to leave it overnight to cool off. Is there likely to be any effect on the brew for leaving it so long before pitching the yeast?

I'm expecting to get a grassy, floral aroma and quite bitter brew by the end of 2 weeks. Can only hope it's drinkable or it's back to the drawing board to try again.

Never know, there is a slim chance that it might appeal to my taste [lol]

I got my scales from Jaycar and they're pretty good.

As for your pitching temp, it always pays to have plenty of cold water on hand. I have 2 x 5L cubes I bought from bunnings that I fill and put in the fridge the night before I make (I got sick of filling up a heap of old softdrink bottles). 10L usually gets me to pitching temp for extract brews and 5L for kit brews. Of course in winter you may not need as much.

It is generally advised to pitch as soon as you can but if everything was clean you shouldn't have any issues from leaving it overnight...that isn't a guarentee though [cool]

• 2 weeks later...

put my first kit down in a while yesterday and it was the Smoty!

Its going gang bustas right now! First volcano i have ever had! Fermenting a little high at 24c (my fridge has a lager in it) just used the two cans and kit yeasts, no other hops yet....will dry hop with Cascade when the krausen dies back down. been down now for around 30hrs.

016ur.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Wow that is friggin crazy! Thanks for posting the pic. Pretty stoked to see that in action.

My SMOTY is bottled up now just waiting a few weeks to try it. Was very bitter straight out of the fermenter but I've read that's the case with SMOTY and that it will mellow a bit with age. Just the question... Can I wait that long?

Muddy you really are going to have to repeat or link me to a thread about airlocks so I can see why and how it works without them. I know it must, I see the new kit doesn't have one. I just would have assumed that the fermenter would get pretty pressurized without the airlock.

I haven't got a link for you TrueBrew but I'll give a quick rant for free [biggrin]

[pinched] Airlocks really don't do anything other than confuse new brewers. I gave up using the airlock and lid on regular fermentors long ago and just use the o-ring to hold a piece of glad wrap over the top. It is much easier, you can see in the top and you can move your fermentor or take a hydro sample without worrying about water being sucked in from the airlock. If you have a volcanic brew like Josh did you can just take off the dirty piece of glad wrap and put on a fresh one.

I used to put a pin prick in my glad wrap for co2 to escape but now don't worry - the air always finds it's way out. The co2 will also escape from the DIY kit as the lid just sits on but is not airtight. It was designed by glad wrap users an airlock disapprovers [rightful]

It is much easier' date=' you can see in the top and you can move your fermentor or take a hydro sample without worrying about water being sucked in from the airlock.[/quote']

Have experienced this first hand so can see the benefit there. Am pretty keen to give this a go now. So the air can get out ok but not in. That's a bonus [ninja] Might have a crack next brew. What do you use a few layers of glad wrap?

Cheers for the free info there mate [cool]

Maybe I might splurge and buy a DIY kit if it's a good month trading. More fermenters = more beer.

I'd love a DIY fermentor but they don't fit in my brewing fridge [crying]

Here's an old pic I used in another thread of my glad wrap setup. I only use one layer of glad wrap but some people use 2. I have tried but see no benefit.

BTW - This glad wrap method is tried and true (not just some weird thing I do [biggrin] )

lid.png

Thanks for the pic. Any need to sanitize the glad wrap or is it all good as is? I hate gladwrap (it's my mortal enemy) and if there is any more stuffing around with it than necessary I'll end up [devil]

You're a legend Muddy cheers.

Archived