Coopers Community

Coopers Dark Ale

GeorgeB

I've never had the commercial Coopers Dark Ale, as it's pretty hard to find here in the States. How close does the home brew kit come to it? I've had the pale Ale, both the kit and the commercial, and I think they're very close. Thanks!

Hi Peter

A question regarding storage of ingredients. I have read that DME can be stored in the fridge indefinitely - but I get into trouble with hogging space in the fridge but have plenty of deep-freeze space. Will it work to store DME in the deep-freeze or does it get too guggy when you take it out?

John, I guess you are asking me this question?? If so, my name is Paul but most call me PB2...

We normally advise short term storage - like a week or two in the fridge. I've never tried freezing it.

The main concern for me is the possibility of the can corroding and, in some way, tainting the extract. Although we say that our extracts don't need to be pasteurised, extract from cans that have been left open are the exception.

Whoops, sorry Paul (The beer gods will probably spoil my next batch as punishment)

The enquiry was more about freezing Dry Malt Extract.

I'll try not to place it in a plastic container that has been treated with bleach because a famous poster once warned us that they would spontaneously fall apart. Haha Muddy

I'll try not to place it in a plastic container that has been treated with bleach because a famous poster once warned us that they would spontaneously fall apart. Haha Muddy

You'll keep John, you'll keep.

Can this guy be put on a blacklist or something Paul. You probably already have him flagged because of his location; I suspect he could be trouble.

You'll keep John, you'll keep.

Can this guy be put on a blacklist or something Paul. You probably already have him flagged because of his location; I suspect he could be trouble.

Muddy, I'm against flagging Kiwis from Aukland, 'cause Motorway Patrol is one of my favourite shows (I beleive it's based in Auckland). I love watching the bro's being let off by soft cops....

They used to run funny clips from an NZ show called "Police 10-7" on and old Tony Martin radio show (Called "Get This"). One was the drunk guy asking the cop, "How come?" when he told him that he has been arrested for disorderly conduct. It is amazing how 2 words can be so funny.

Then there was the other guy yelling, "Assault! Assault!", he pauses, then "You touched me officer, sorry.".

I wish I could put audio clips on here because I'm sure it doesn't read as funny as it sounds.

Thanks guys (I guess???) The rest of the country refers to us as Jafa's which of course stands for Just Another Friendly Aucklander.

Police 10-7 and Motorway Patrol - wow - some of our infamous exports I recon.

Good to see you guys are staying true to your heritage and still enjoy watching some good quality Police Shows.

Happy brewing/tasting this weekend you guys.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yea Muddy. did not take the trouble to work it out just guessed about 650.

I knew you would do the work for me.[cool]

The Dark dried malt I hav is Briess Traditional. Guess that would be ok.

I'm brewing a version of the dark ale myself. (aw,geez,here he goes again! Bloody yank!) I mixed the OS Dark ale can with 1.4kg (3lbs) of Munton's plain amber DME. Did 3 additions in the same way as my OS Draught additions thread with 30g each of Kent Golding & Haulertau hop pellets.

It's been in primary 9 days now. When it hits FG,I'll rack it to secondary with some medium toast French oak chips (4oz,or 113.4g),soaked with 5 jiggers (1 jigger= 1.5 shots) of 8 year old Kentucky bourbon. I started this soak in an air-tight container since the yeast was pitched. At least 2/3 of the bourbon has been soaked up by the chips since they've been in the fridge.

This makes what has been called "whiskely" in this country since colonial times. Something old,something borrowed...[innocent]

Archived