Coopers Community

Belgian Lager

Hi all,

I want to do a Belgian Lager to the recipe in the Thomas Coopers Malt Extract Pamphlet that I managed to get my hands on (Thanks Paul!).

BELGIAN LAGER

Thomas Cooper's Wheat Malt 1.5g

Thomas Cooper's Australian Bitter

HOPS Hallertau 12g

YEAST European Lager 15g

500g light dry malt

Mix to 23 litres

So far I've only done kits with the supplied yeast and I've never added hops. So I have a couple of simple questions about this.

What would be the recommended method for adding the hops for this recipe?

Am I right in thinking Saflager S-23 would be the appropriate yeast? If so I'm a bit concerned I may have left it a bit late as the temps are beginning to rise in Sydney and my brewing spot in a dark and cool spot under the house is sitting in the 16-17 degrees range, which is above the recommended temp range for this yeast. Is this a big concern? Should I use something else?

Sorry for the dumb questions! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

You could infuse the hops - like steeping a pot of tea.

or

You could throw them in to the fermenting tub for primary fermentation.

W-34/70 would be a good choice of yeast. Start in the low 20's then, after 12 hours (or once you see krausen), draw it down to 15C. Perhaps it's time to improve your temp control so you can brew any beer style you like at any time of the year. :wink:

I did the CZECH PILSENER from that Pamphlet. for hops i got the Morgans steeping bags from my home brew shop you just put the bag in to a mug that you have put boiling water in to and let it sit there for about ten mins then poor it in to the fermenter along with the bag chuck ya yeast in and put on the lid. I just bottled my pils a week ago. but i have used this method with other brews and it does make a big diffrence i think.

For the yeast i just bought a 15g pack of Brew Celler European Lager yeast from my home brew shop and put that in along with the kit yeast that comes with the pils. thats also a lager yeast.

I think that yeast that comes with the Aussie bitter is a ale yeast??? That may be ok to put in along with a lager yeast? Paul might be able to help on that one.?

I have a brew cellar recipe and yeast pamphelt and in regards to the european lager yeast it says.....

A famouse strain from Weigenstephan Germany. The most popular lager yeast world wide. Sedimentation high, best temp 12-15c'

Unfortunately I haven't got the space for a fridge and if I do squeeze on in somewhere we will be tripping over it all the time.

Do you think the W-34/70 could handle 16 or 17 degrees. My brewing "nook" (which is dug out the clay deep under the house on the side of a steep hill so it stays pretty cool year round) maintains a pretty steady 15 degrees at this time of year moment regardless of the temp outside, but I don't want to risk ruining the brew if the temp comes up a bit.

• 1 month later...

Well I manged to get my hands on a small fridge and have squeezed it into the last bit of space in the garage. I hooked up the tempmate on the weekend. So, temperature controlled brewing here I come :P

On the downside, you lot can probably expect a rise in dumb questions in the near future :wink:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Any thoughts on how this recipe might react to the use of a Belgian ale strain of yeast (e.g. T58) and some extra hops (e.g. Fuggles or Goldings) to go with Hallertau?

I do appreciate a good Belgian ale.

Archived