Coopers Community

Duvel

Well, my Duvel has been in the bottle for just short of three months now. I haven't had one for a while, but the last time I cracked one, I had a mate present who'd had the real McCoy over in Belgium. He reckend it was a pretty close approximation of the real thing. Very strong. I might try one this week and get back with how time in the bottle has affected it. I might even put a few in the fridge and bring some of them and some XSVAles in to work for a bit of a Chrissy break up drink and watch everyone fall over[devil] !! HAHAHA!

and yes, i am back brewing following my back injury. I was supposed to have an operation 3 December but the surgeon was happy with my progress and postponed pending further scans next year.

• 5 weeks later...

when my Duvel batch is in storage it is crystal clear, yet after it has been in the fridge long enough to cool to inside fridge temp <4oC, it becomes seemingly darker and when I pour it is not cloudy, but not clear, if you get my drift. The bottle I have cracked has been sittung in the fridge (not the door) for over 1 month, so it isnpt from the movement from storage to the fridge.

Anyone got any ideas?

I think it still needs at least 6 months to be a reasonable drinker. the alcohol taste/flavour is too strong. I made it too Pauls recipe, except for the styrian hops, I used EKG (interweb said it is a suitable sub[rightful] ).

chheeeerrss

• 1 month later...

Weggl - I haven't tried another one yet. It has only been in the bottle about 4 months (?). I may try another at the 6 month mark if I remember [cool]

I steeped 20g of Saaz but other than that went off the recipe. The yeast is the most important aspect - make a big starter though. If you are trying to make a duvel style I wouldn't be reducing the sugars

weggl - I can't remember exactly how much and for how long but I used saaz and EKGoldings for the Duvel. I have had a few of them, it is really big beer! I am still to have a real Duvel, but my mates who have sampled them in Belgium reckon it's pretty close and that was when it was relatively young.

It is definitely not a session beer!

I'll sample one in the next month or so and report back.

jUST FOUND MY NOTES - 1 can blonde, 1.6kg sugar, 1kg LDM 15gms saaz, 12 gms EKG boiled 20mins and same for both at flame out for 15 mins, no bag or anything hops and all used this to dissolve LDM. went in FV 28 August, bottled 22 September - 25 days in the tub. I didn't record wether I bulk primed or not, and it was around the time I injured my back and was on some heavy pain relief, but I seem to recall bulk priming, and would have been the normal 8gms/Litre of plain white sugar.

I have just had my 5 month taste of my Duvel-ish. HERE is a picture.

I actually thought I might tip it out after the first couple of sips but then the alcohol (10.2%) dulled my senses somewhat and I actually quite enjoyed the rest. I reckon there is hope for this one yet. Best drinken slowly and savoured like a fine wine [cool]

Archived