Coopers Community

Duvel

I'm ready to step up to the plate and attempt something aspirational, Duvel, but need some recipe advice. I'd really like to hear from someone who has succeeded in getting close to the Duvel profile.

In trying to analyse the beer (which is a joy in itself) and work backwards, I think I'm tasting wheat and pilsner style malts, Saaz, Goldings or Fuggle hops, and what is probably a unique/uncommon yeast strain. Maybe some honey or other complex sugars. Matching the full rounded pallette and high alchohol content is another challenge.

Does anyone have a jumping off point at least using extract cans?

I reckon I've had this analysed by the lab geeks a while ago?? Will check on Monday.

I think the Duval aromas are more likely from fermentation rather than hops. Plenty of simple sugar in Duval. The honeyed characteristics could be due to bottle age.

The yeast is the key here - you could try re-culturing from a couple of bottles of Duval or buy an appropriate liquid yeast.

Yep, results of analysis of the sample:

Alcohol - 8.5% ABV

Colour - 7.5 EBC

Bitterness - 24.9 IBU

SG - 1004

So you need to use the freshest can of Canadian Blonde you can find (we want to get the lightest colour extract with adequate bitterness), 1kg of Light Dry Malt Extract and 1.5kg of Sugar made to 21 litres. What?? 1.5kg is a lot of sugar :shock: It is but you will need plenty of simple sugars to achieve the alcohol content while attenuating sufficiently to result in a low final gravity.

You need to get the appropriate liquid yeast and you may need to ferment up around the 24C mark - check the recommended temp on the instructions that come with the yeast. It may take some time (months) for the flavours and aromas to meld together in the bottle.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Noobie here. Really finding the forum useful. Tried this 3 times now. The yeast suggested by Paul is Achouffe type not Duvel but as I love Achouffe I tried it out and added some coriander. Very pleased with the results so far.

Cheers...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks mate, in a recent edition of Beer & Brewer there was a tasting note on the Duvel, which has got me interested[love] , it mentions 2 hops, having never tasted a Duvel, anyideas on which hops are used?

Thanks...

Probably old hops - would expect them to be noble hops but not sure of the type.

I am recovering from my back injury to the point I am getting close to being able to move a full fermenter, so will be brewing this little devil in the next few days. What treatment do you think the hops should get? 20-30gms each getting a boil for around 20-30 then another 10gms or so at flame out and steep for 10-15 mins? Am I boiling both Saaz and goldings in the same pot?

Thanks for the tips.

Also, I couldn't get a Belgian Ale yeast from my LHBS, I was going to use a coopers recultured yeast and the pack yeast and brew at 24C, while not being authentic/true to the original, this could still throw a good beer, Si?

• 1 month later...

My back recovered long enough for me to put this one down and in the bottle. has ben in about 3 weeks. Got down to 1008. HAven't tried one yet.

However, I have experienced a totally new injury to my back not long after bottling this brew and after an appointment with a neurosurgeon today in Sydney it appears I require corrective surgery. I am having an MRI tomorrow in Canberra to confirm all the Dr's prognosises'sssss and then have another appointment in 2 weeks in Sydney to basically book in a time/date for surgery.

It appears the Duvel will be my last batch for a hile!!!

Bummer...

I'll let you know what it turns out like though[biggrin] !

• 1 month later...

When I made the Duvel I had an SG of 1074 but the kicker is the FG......1002!!![w00t]

I used WLP570 Belgian Golden Ale Yeast which started with a bang but died in the arse at just over 1020 and I couldn't rouse it. In desperation I made a starter with a few sachets of coopers kit yeast that were piling up in the freezer. In a few days it got it down to 1002 and am looking at at a 10.1% monster.

I bottled it mid October and stashed it away to age...but I did try one of my tester bottles last week and it wasn't bad. Kind of warm from the alcohol but other than that it didn't taste overly strong. Much like the real thing.

He thinks he did not stirr well enough when taking the sample so most of the sirup was probably still at the bottom of the fermenter. that would explain the high reading....

he is fermenting with a yeast starter made with yeast residu from Duvel bottles

Wow Muddy, 10% thats pretty strong, bit higher than the original

Cheers!

Archived