Coopers Community

Coopers Club Newsletter Jan 2006

Philby

Woah, seems like the printers had a little too much Coopers over the Xmas / New Year period, or perhaps they've been privy to sampling the new Premium Lager??

Or maybe it was just me, but when I got to page 4 (or page 6, depending upon how you started reading) of my newsletter, my whole world turned upside down !!

Or possibly, it's the "new" style newsletter, with dual covers and someone couldn't decide on which cover was best and.... ??

Heck I don't know.

yeah I was tuned into your sarcasm.. but can you detect mine!? I hope so, because it was meant as an overtly sarcastic comment - which you could probably decode it as "hey, cool idea, its your newsletter, you can present it however you like!" :D

I've just sat down to read the hard copy of the newsletter, after looking at the PDF online.

I must say I thought it was pretty confusing, too.

First, there's nothing on the "homebrew" cover and the "beer" cover apart from the picture to indicate why there are two covers. The wording is exactly the same. If you were trying to differentiate beer and homebrew sections, shouldn't the beer cover only mention the beer stories and homebrew the homebrew stories?

Second, did the printers, or the designers, stuff up the pages? It seems that there should be four pages on beer and four on homebrew, but there are are five in the homebrew section and three in the beer section. The article "Brewing a new beer: a brewer's perspective part 2" surely belongs in the beer section, not the homebrew section? Is this really how it's meant to be? I particularly ask this because on page 3 (of the homebrew section) in the article about the new lager and light it says "Key differences come from the use of different yeast and hops, (referred to in Dr Jon Meneses' article on page 3)". In fact, it's on page 4.

Third, perhaps a solution to all the confusion would be to have a cover and all the pages the same way up, then have a strap across the top of each page saying either "Beer" or "Homebrew". You could also have "News" on the first few pages if the topics were mixed up.

Sorry to sound negative, but all in all it doesn't seem like it was very well thought through!

Oliver

Archived