Coopers Community

Stirring in the yeast?

Gary

I was making my latest batch of real ale today and in the lid was an extra bit telling about making variations of brew. Well they all said about pouring the yeast on top of the beer. Now, I have been brewing for the last 14 years and just about every brew I have made I have stirred the yeast into the beer. I checked the brewing instructions that comes with the wort and it doesn't specify either way. So, should I be mixing the yeast into the beer or should I just be sprinkling it on top?

from a scientist's perspective, stirring the yeast in is more likely to get things moving faster. Although I have also sprinked and that works nicely too. I have been pre-activating it with water/glucose and pitching, seems to work quite well. :)

Well thanks for the replies. I had to enquire because I've read about top fermenting beers and bottom fermenting beers. As I like to brew all the Coopers beer varieties, I just wondered if I was making a mistake by mixing in the yeast in every brew I made. Anyway cheers, I'm off for another glass of Pale Ale. :D

Sorry about not replying to this as I have been away from the office....Perth - Coopers Club night.

To stir or not to stir?

If the yeast is in liquid form (hydrated) it is beneficial to stir it in. There is no benefit in stirring dry yeast into a brew as it won't dissolve like sugar does.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been brewing for less than 2 years but I've stirred in the yeast powder each time because on the video (starring Paul Mercurio) that came with the kit is shows them giving it a quick stir after adding the yeast.

:?

Gary,

Top fermented means ale yeast, bottom fermented means lager yeast. It's got nothing to do with stirring in the yeast or not.

It's all about where they tend to do their work; ale yeasts will work near the top of a beer, creating a foaming head. Lager yeasts work near the bottom.

Ale yeasts tend to produce fruitier, fuller-bodied beers. Lager yeasts will give you a crisper, cleaner beer with a lighter body.

Speaking of Yeast performance. I recall a warning once about leaving a brew in the fermenter too long at the risk of "autolysis". So striaight to the old Encarta where it appears under "death & dying' as a latter stage, namely; death of the cells. Yeah, that makes sense, but let me see if I've got this straight.

The yeast might die over the next two days in the fermenter, but it won't die over the next two years in the bottle?

Kip

Thanks for the great reply Oliver. That explains the differnt reactions that I see happen in the brew keg.

To Kieran and Kip - maybe it has to do with the priming sugar as well? I don't know either.

Archived