Coopers Community

First batch is undrinkble!

Barfly

EEEKKK!!

Cracked the first bottle from batch #1 last night ...... to say it was undrinkable is being kind to it!!

It was supposed to be a standard lager brew but it is VERY plae in color, it has no head, no body, tastes like stagnant water, and is barely carbonated.

Date Brewed 27 October 2004

Brew type Lager

Fermentables Brewing Sugar (1kg)

Yeast pitch temp 21

Sg No reading

\t

Date bottled 1 November 2004

Fg 1.006

Any bright ideas as what I did? Maybe I bottled too soon???

From the advertising on www.coopers.com.au, it is supposed to be pale and light bodied.

"Straw Colour with golden hues and a lacy white head. Light floral aromas follow through on a light to medium bodied palate with subtle malt and hop flavours and a clean finish. An Australian Lager style with plenty of character."

As far as carbonation is concerned, did you prime as instructed?

I am still struggling with head retention on batch #15 but usual issues are dirty glasses, slightest bit of oil on glass, detergent residue.....It is batch #1 after all.

Try 250gm Maltodextrin in your next batch, this will also add body.

Or Try the Thomas Coopers Heritage Lager with 1.5kg of Light Malt Extract. More colour, flavour, bitterness and body.

batch 1 don't give up just yet

my brother & i brewed for a few years what was an "aquired taste" beer (rocket fuel)

years later started brewing again for economic reasons still not for taste but drinkable

3rd brewing stint "economic reasons again" not happy but dinkable again main mistake i think in those days i was a vb drinker so i brewed bitter (thinking vic bitter = bitter h.b) when i found years later coopers draught would have been a better choice

finally a mate came around with a crate of long necks & said try some of my brews I said whats the black & he said coopers dark ale the rest is history now i only brew coopers dark ale & pale ale for kegging & brew stout for bottles

try different styles till you find one that is similar to what you want

i found coopers canadian blonde with 500g light malt is similar to carlton cold

when you find a style you like or is similar to what you drink then you can use malt or other additives to make your brew your own style

Give your beer another month to age then try again. I never drink mine until they are at least 3 months old. Pretty hard to go wrong unless you've made some fundamental mistake, like not carbonating your bottles.

Tip: A small piece of sterilised house brick in your glass will give you a good head every time.

Cracked another bottle last night. That extra week on the shelf did wonders for it. It lacked a little body (which made it easy to drink more - too easy!!), but the taste was very smooth & pleasant. The color has gone from a weak straw to color to a rich gold. Head retention was excellent right to the bottom of all 5 bottles. There was absolutely no sediment in any of them.

What I did find - and I have absolutely no reasonable explanation for it - was that my brew tasted a lot cleaner out of a chilled glass rather than from my chilled pewter.

Sounds like an excuse for some more "field testing". :lol: :wink: :lol:

Archived