Coopers Community

Adding extra fermentables to an APA

Jay

Hi there,

Iam looking forward to chucking this recipe together in the next week or so. (I mean carefully mixing together with love and affection)

Coopers APA

1kg LDM

500g Brew Enhancer 2 (250g Dex, 125g maltodextrin, 125g LDM)

20g Cascade

20g Amarillo

20g Nelson Sauvin

Dry yeast from the coopers APA kit.

Now my only question is whether the additional 500g of BE2 is a bad idea?

My reason for adding it is to hopefully make the beer a bit stronger and a tad maltier,

Also I have 1kg of BE2 left over and thought I'd experiment with it.

What do you think chaps, will this work?....

I was wondering whether I need to add more/different yeast to work with the extra Maltodextrin/dextrose from the BE2?

cheers Jay

Hi there,

Iam looking forward to chucking this recipe together in the next week or so. (I mean carefully mixing together with love and affection)

Coopers APA

1kg LDM

500g Brew Enhancer 2 (250g Dex, 125g maltodextrin, 125g LDM)

20g Cascade

20g Amarillo

20g Nelson Sauvin

Dry yeast from the coopers APA kit.

Now my only question is whether the additional 500g of BE2 is a bad idea?

My reason for adding it is to hopefully make the beer a bit stronger and a tad maltier,

Also I have 1kg of BE2 left over and thought I'd experiment with it.

What do you think chaps, will this work?....

I was wondering whether I need to add more/different yeast to work with the extra Maltodextrin/dextrose from the BE2?

cheers Jay

There are no rules Jas and i reckon that will come out pretty good

Kit yeast should cope ok as i have fermented similar brews without additional yeast. Add more if want, it wont hurt.

A question for the guys that use the Brew Enhancers. When you open the packet is it all mixed up or is it layered?

So when you use half a packet, how do you know you are using 50% of each ingredient?

The quantities we are talking about are fairly small so it won't make much of a difference to the end result. It has been a long time since I have use it and was just curious.

I'm thinking that they are probably a bit patchily mixed, so a good stir and shake should do the trick.

So from your comment on small amounts Hairy, would it hurt to chuck the whole 1kg in there?

I'm thinking that they are probably a bit patchily mixed, so a good stir and shake should do the trick.

So from your comment on small amounts Hairy, would it hurt to chuck the whole 1kg in there?

The whole 1kg will make a difference.

My point was if you thought you were putting in 250g dex and you actually put in 280g then its not a big deal.

My point was if you thought you were putting in 250g dex and you actually put in 280g then its not a big deal

I use 1 and 2 a bit and never notice any layering. I would imagine it has to be well mixed in manufacture to ensure consistency in every 1kg box.

I never use smaller quantities than 1kg, but if i did, the pessimist in me would make me mix it first just in case, but probably no need.

When i buy blends from my LHBS it is always layered as he weighs off and fill each bag individually.

Jas, if you chuck the whole kilo in plus the kilo of malt, then i would up the yeast as well mate

The whole 1kg will make a difference.

Jason I also use the APA as it is one of the lowest IBU cans and then I can add more of my own hops. Your recipe sounds similar other than I just use LDM. It should be great...

The can, kilo, and BE2 should yield about 5.6% abv.

As far as BE being layered, which I never noticed, I'd be pretty sure it's mixed in giant batches and packaged. [biggrin]

Archived