Coopers Community

Very new to brewing - query about aftertaste

BrettL3

Very new to Coopers Home Brewing. Have waited (patiently) for 3 weeks to try my Coopers Draught. Smells like beer, pours fairly well with bubbles and head, but has a sweetish, apple-like aftertaste. Is this normal?? Or have I made a mistake?? Appreciate any help and advice. Thanks.

\u201cAlright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.\u201d - Homer J Simpson.

Hi Brett,

Welcome to HB and the forum, their are a lot members here who are for more qualified to answer this than I, however I would suspect it has something to do with your fermenting temperatures. I experienced the same if I brewed at high or inconsistent temperatures.

I purchased a couple of STC 1000 temp controllers and fridges, and brewed ales at 18c and lagers at 11c winch eliminated unwanted flavours.

It could be a number of thing including the ingredients you added.

If you can post ingredients, temps and fermentation time someone will give you the correct advice, this forum is great for gaining the knowledge required to brew better beer.

Thanks for the prompt reply. My ingredients used - Can of Coopers Draught and accompanying yeast, 1 packet of Brewing Sugar 1, 23 litres of Melbourne water. Temperature ranged from 20-24 degrees whilst in the fermenter. Bottled when FG was at 1005 after 8 days.

\u201cAlright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer.\u201d - Homer J Simpson.

yep, my first brew was a shocker, even after three months of storage, however, my latest APA with LDME and cascade hops is a cracker, so what i am getting at is stick with it [biggrin]

i think the high temps while fermenting is your problem.

i use a tub of water and frozen 1ltr bottles of water on rotation to try and keep the fermenter temps down around the 20\xb0 - 22\xb0 mark.

i generally leave my brews to ferment for 2weeks [works in with my pay schedule = buying next lot of kit]

i mainly do Mexican Cerveza and Pale Ale's and thanks to this forum, i have learnt alot in just a short time.

I'm not disagreeing with the other posters' advice - each brew is different - but I'd suggest sanitisation or ingredients might be the problem rather than temperature. I've had several brews sit up around 24 degrees with no problems so far. Like the above poster I also let them sit about two weeks to let the yeast clean up after themselves.

What did you use to clean the FV, bottles and other equipment? Was it sterilised again before use?

Also, using the Light Dry Malt or at least Brew Enhancer boxes rather than brewing sugar will definitely improve the flavour of your beer.

I cleaned the fermenter thoroughly with hot soapy water, rinsed out with cold water. I used the Coopers Sanitiser - as per instructions in the fermenter. Bottles I washed out, used bottle brush to clean inside, sanitised with a BrewShield product, left them to drain on a bottle tree also.

Temperature is a factor as well as ingredients. If you brew at high temperatures you can end up with unwanted esters and off flavours. However, I'd say the most likely reason this brew tastes like cider is because of the brewing sugar used. It's 80% dextrose so you've got 800g of Dex in the brew if you used a kilo of it, which is too much and tends to produce this kind of flavour. Next time try adding a kilo of light dry malt (you can get this from your local brew shop), you will get a much nicer beer from it.[biggrin]

Have read all the posts - purchased Light Dry Malt yesterday. Do I add one packet to the draught can, or two?? What will be the approx alchol content with the 2?? One packet of Light Dry Malt gives me 3.8% if I add 1kg will that make my beer 7.6%?? cheers

Remember that the kit is mostly made up of Liquid Malt extract.

So with 500g DME you have (including priming, to 23L):

1.7kg liquid malt + 500g dry malt = about 3.5%

And with 1kg DME you have:

1.7kg liquid malt + 1000g dry malt = about 4.3%

Archived