Coopers Community

Yeast Mixup - Need somehelp please

MikeS16

Hi... First brew Going bad... Need some help (as you will read, i have been a little gungho - but thought i would go boots and all in).

Problem 1 - Put together a ginger beer today. Fermentor was at 30c, but put the yeast in... Was preparing a second batch of dark ale, when i read the instruction inside the cap - over 30c, vulnerable, "prompt addition of yeast..." so freaked me out, and i put 1/3 of a packed from another brew i was doing (WHICH WAS the ALE). The mix in this has been based on a receipt with a bunch of additional ginger/chillies 1.5kg sugar/cloves etc and the list goes)

Didnt think at the time(rarely do)... Then kicked off the dark ale and then picked up a full packed of yeast in the fermentor. All packets looked the same from the front.

Once in I have realised what i have done.... and been surfing the sites for fix....

SO there is the issue(s)

1) In Ginger put in 1/3 extra Dark Ale Yeast.

- Will this cause an issue with the yeast for the beer?

- What is i hadn't killed all the yeast from the extra heat? If I have pit an extra 1/3 in will this now cause me issues (and any suggested rectifications - more yeast?) This in in an open fermentor and appears to haev action on the top?? (does that makes sence)

2) Put a Yeast packet from am Australia Larger (came with the kit) in a mix of Australian Dark Ale... (doesnt appear to have any actions BUT its in a closed fermentor with an airlock.

- Will it work?

- any suggestions (redo? killit? add more? or bin it?)

Finally,

3) Where can i buy the yeast only? doesn's seem to be listed anywhere on the net?

30C won't kill the yeast. It's not an ideal ferment temp though, 20C would be much better if you have any way of bringing it down. When you say open fermenter do you mean that it has no lid or anything on it? [unsure] Seems a bit risky regarding infections and the like.

Also the yeast in the Lager tin is the same as the Dark Ale tin (all the original series tins come with an ale yeast, and I think the ginger beer one does too), so you shouldn't have any issues with it. Ignore the airlock, use your hydrometer to monitor fermentation activity.

Local brew shops sell yeast by itself. I don't think they have the Coopers yeast, but they do have other types.

Anyway don't stress over the Dark Ale. It sounds like it should be fine. I'd be trying to find some way of covering the GB one though.

Thanks... Panic'd a little..

The GB is in one of the new Coopers Fermentors from Woolies(with the collar, lid/cover, but without a physical airlock device).

The Dark (which sounds OK...) is in a sealed one wirth the airlock (an old wander unit i recently was given).

Both had initial specific gravity of 1.35 GB and 1.36 dark, which i thought was a little low. But will wait and see.

Temps is down - once i read the issued re 30c, got the fermentors down to 26 over 10 mins).

Room is pretty constant at 21.5c so luckily no external powers putting pressure there.

Thanks

As otto said 30c is not ideal but don't panic I think we have all done it before,it will be fine.

What I do is the day before I brew I put 10 liters of water in the fridge in softdrink bottles and then you can use that cold water to cool your temp.Works well for me

Local brew shop for yeast I have great results with US05.

Archived