Coopers Community

Coopers IPA kit from Big W - Which suburb in Melbourne?

Khellendros13

Hey guys,

As the subject asks...which Big W in Melbourne stock the IPA kits?

I know I can order online, but I only need the IPA kit right now to put down a Motueka IPA Slam (flowers in the freezer).

Or if PB2 can confirm that Big W just don't stock that range at all, that would be great :)

Thanks

Big W only stock the Original series and the International series.

The IPA is a part of the Thomas Coopers Selection which is only available at home brew shops or the online Coopers store.

Here is a link to the kits and the series they belong to.

Coopers Kits

So you have a couple of options.

1. Track down an IPA can

2. Buy a can from Big W (eg Draught) and hop it up yourself.

The IPA kit is a cracker though [love]

Ok I might have to just order 2 of the IPA cans then, if it is as good as you all say, I will be using it again anyway :)

Thanks

You will not regret it. This can, along with the APA made some of the tastiest beers in my brewing history. Some would rival the AG brews that I'm doing now.

Use all malt (unless you want to put in 250g dex for a bit more boot[w00t]) , steep some crystal (med-dark), and hop the crap out of it with whatever fruity US-style hops you have lying around.

My best was done with Galaxy IIRC.

Ok I might have to just order 2 of the IPA cans then, if it is as good as you all say, I will be using it again anyway :)

Thanks

You will not regret it. This can, along with the APA made some of the tastiest beers in my brewing history. Some would rival the AG brews that I'm doing now.

Use all malt (unless you want to put in 250g dex for a bit more boot[w00t]) , steep some crystal (med-dark), and hop the crap out of it with whatever fruity US-style hops you have lying around.

My best was done with Galaxy IIRC.

I was after the IPA can to make the Motueka Slam, so I already have 100gm of the hop flowers. How much crystal would I need to just improve it a bit, but not turn it into something else?

I had a Coopers Vintage last night...first 1/3 blew me back a bit but by half way it was business as usual :D

I wouldn't mind that strength, so I may add the dextrose and use the crystal to cover any thinning of the flavour :)

If you want it that strong then try:

IPA kit

1.5kg Light Liquid malt

500g Dry Wheat Malt

500g Dextrose

300g Crystal malt (optional) - Victory malt is nice

Then hop the crap out of it [devil]

Found the IPA kit at Cellers Plus on Peel st near the Vic Market, so I might go back today and get a 2nd kit and all my ingreds to make 2 brews.

What hops would you add to that recipe? I didn't see any Galaxy in the fridge but they have cascade, goldings, fuggles, amarillo at least.

What hops would you add to that recipe? I didn't see any Galaxy in the fridge but they have cascade' date=' goldings, fuggles, amarillo at least. [/quote']

If you are going for an English style IPA then get the Goldings (I assume they are East Kent Goldings).

But if you want an American IPA then go with a heap of Cascade & Amarillo. And a lot of it.

I tried looking at the Cellar Plus website to see if their hops were the teabag thingys. When you click on "Hops" it says "There are no products matching that selection".

Thats a bit of a worry [crying]

What hops would you add to that recipe? I didn't see any Galaxy in the fridge but they have cascade' date=' goldings, fuggles, amarillo at least. [/quote']

If you are going for an English style IPA then get the Goldings (I assume they are East Kent Goldings).

But if you want an American IPA then go with a heap of Cascade & Amarillo. And a lot of it.

I tried looking at the Cellar Plus website to see if their hops were the teabag thingys. When you click on "Hops" it says "There are no products matching that selection".

Thats a bit of a worry [crying]

Thanks Hairy.

I have some Cascade and Amarillo left from the fruit salad ale. About 70gm each...steep half and dry hop the rest ?

I need to research how adding them at different times to a boil effects the flavour.

Grain and Grape looks good, just hard for me to get to as I don't drive...yet...

Are you making the big strong version of the IPA? If so, it might be good to increase the bitterness a little as well as the flavour.

Save about 15g of each type for the dry hop and use the rest in a boil at say 20, 10 and 5 minutes.

If you haven't already done so, download IanH's Kit and Extract Beer designing spreadsheet from AHB and play around with it.

Otherwise just split your hops evenly across those additions.

Are you making the big strong version of the IPA? If so, it might be good to increase the bitterness a little as well as the flavour.

Save about 15g of each type for the dry hop and use the rest in a boil at say 20, 10 and 5 minutes.

If you haven't already done so, download IanH's Kit and Extract Beer designing spreadsheet from AHB and play around with it.

Otherwise just split your hops evenly across those additions.

Thanks, I will follow that for one of the IPA's.

However, no brewing this weekend, I left the yeast smack pack too long before I added it to a wort starter...completely dead. Oh well, live and learn :)

Archived