Coopers Community

HELP!!!!!!!

McFrankel

Ok it's thursday night and the cider has been sitting in the fv for the 13 days and I am looking at bottling tomorrow night. Just went to check the FG and found that the tap is blocked with pear pieces. Has anyone over come this problem before [crying. my only thought is to undo the tap and let it jet into the bulk priming bucket. Has anyone got any other ideas at all???

put the bottling wand on to the tap, remove the valve end and blow into the tube, open the tap while blowing.

One good blow and you might clear the tap. its full of Alcohol so i doubt you will get an infection

Just siphon it.

What is the SG?

+1 to siphon

At no time would I ever attempt to blow into it. You "may not" get an infection but this will increase the likelihood of getting one that's for sure. I could be wrong but have not seen anywhere that explains about 4-5%ABV will kill off bacteria.

ok so far I have placed the FV on a tilt with the tap at the highest point so that all the sediment (bits of pear included) will move to the back. Hopefully this will dislodge it from the tap and allow the flow into a second fv. If not it looks like plan b may be to siphon.

BTW this is the last time I will mash pears... In future I will boil then blend [rightful] .

I can't believe that nobody asked this...

But...

Why are their pieces of pear in your FV??[biggrin]

Lord this is the drink of the leprechauns.

He is making either full perry or pear & apple blend cider.

Never tried making a perry despite my wife asking for me to make it continually. I do not use fresh fruit and have had trouble finding reasonably priced pear concentrate.

Never tried making a perry despite my wife asking for me to make it continually. I do not use fresh fruit and have had trouble finding reasonably priced pear concentrate.

You could just give your wife two apple ciders and then she would have a pear.

A Pair [pinched]

Sorry, ignore that. I thought it may have worked. [innocent]

Exactly that a pear and apple cider blend... Had trouble finding pear juice so I bought 2 tins of pears boiled and then mashed thinking I may get a bit more out of mashed pear...

on the plus side I get a second FV (bunnings special) so I will now be able to bulk prime or have 2 brews going at once...

Archived