Coopers Community

Aging Beer

ReidarH

Hi.

A question about aging beer. I have a Sparkling Ale and a Dark Ale stored in my basement. Its cold in Norway, so the temperature should be around 5-8 degrees in the storing room.

I put it in there after 3 weeks secondary fermentation without thinking that this might stop the aging of the beer. My question is. To get the improvement in brew by storing beer for atleast a few months, does it need to be at room temperature? If so, can I take the beer I have stored at 5-7C out in a warmer room an start the aging process? Is it best to store the beer at room temperatur until I want do drink it and then just put in the fridge a day or two in advance?

Advice appreciated.

Get more fridges [lol] I hear ya ExPat. I have a similar amount bottled. Of course, my brewing fridge is taken up by an FV with a brew in it at the moment but when I bottle it I'm gonna put the shelves back in and store them in there to carb and then move them. But yeah my garage is reasonably stable with temps, just not as low as I'd like. At the moment going off the stick ons on the FV when it's idle, it sits between 25 and 27 most of the time. In winter it's too bloody cold in there to carb the beers properly which is pretty annoying. [lol] I had a few batches last year that were rather under carbed and never really improved with time either.

Goodness... I like the 40 pint rotation.

That way if I brew something I don't like so much I can dip into the next brew easy enough. (eg ginger beer)

Or if I like something too much I can space it out. (eg fuggles chocolate irish stout. which i just drank my last one of [crying] )

Variety is the spice of life and if you're gonna brew 9 kits worth in one sitting, I'd imagine you'll never want to taste another pint of it again by the end.[lol]

Goodness... I like the 40 pint rotation.

That way if I brew something I don't like so much I can dip into the next brew easy enough. (eg ginger beer)

Or if I like something too much I can space it out. (eg fuggles chocolate irish stout. which i just drank my last one of [crying] )

Variety is the spice of life and if you're gonna brew 9 kits worth in one sitting, I'd imagine you'll never want to taste another pint of it again by the end.[lol]

sounds like the aussie cricket team.lol

LOL.

I'm not sure he meant he brews 184 litres in one sitting. I have about the same amount of beer around the brewery either in bottles or cubes or fermenting at any given time. Of course, they're all different styles as well because I like to experiment but most of them turn out well, if not at least drinkable.. [lol]

Archived