Coopers Community

whats your thoughts on these two brews in my FV plz? newbie

patm5

hi guys only made a couple posts,mainly learning.

my last two brews i have fv in a aircon room,keep temps between 22 to 25. i am waiting on my stc 1000.

so first brew is

coopers premium trad draught,

coopers amber malt

pitched at about 30c ,was trying to get down with ice water

date fv 14/1/13 1.30pm og 1042

17/1 /13 ;1018

21/1/13 ;1010

25/1/13 gave the fv a bit of a shake up

28/1/13 ;1010

what you reckon blokes? going to keg my brews?

and 2nd brew

morgans old

coopers light malt

17/1/13 4.30pm pitched approx 27c og 1044

21/1/13 1018

25/1/13 gave fv a shake

28/1/13 8pm 1016

any suggestions fellas?

ill post some pics of my new keezer shortly in the makings,just need to order some more taps etc..

thankyou

pat in cairns..

Hi Patm5.

Without seeing your full recipe(s), it's hard to give you an accurate answer to your questions.

Based on the original gravity of the two brews combined with the current specific gravity readings you have provided, I'd say the first brew is ready to bottle, but the second brew is still a few days away.

Without the full recipe(s), I admit I'm purely speculating. [innocent]

CC

cc thanks,yes i was thinking leaving the 2nd brew for a bit as she is a week later then the first..as for recipes,just what i posted, a can each plus some malt??

I am going to let the first brew go a day or so and place in corny and add sugar to let it naturally carbonate,place in fridge for couple weeks,unless i get any other suggestions /advise..

i ve tasted both,have been each time i check them ,no bad tastes??really looking forward to my couple stc1000 s to turn up..

one other question,as its warm up here,do i need to use boiling water to mix original brew etc,and should i use more cold water so to pitch the brew at a lower temp before i place in the yeast?

cheers

pat

Isn't that Trad. draught kit a lager? If so I think your temps. are a bit too high. Lager yeast likes temps more like 10-14C!

The Traditional Draught kit comes with the hybrid yeast - Ac + L.

So it goes both ways [innocent]

thanks guys...i am just learning as you can see,i have had two brews out of my kegs so far,that were ok ,as i drank them [biggrin]

so whats the deal with different yeasts,would some of you blokes recommend other yeast instead of the packets that come with the kits?

cheers again for your info[happy]

pat

so whats the deal with different yeasts' date='would some of you blokes recommend other yeast instead of the packets that come with the kits?[/quote']

Generally, the yeast in the kit is fine, but seomtimes if you want something specific you can swap it out.

Here's some of my favorites:

wb06 - hefeweizen

US05 - alerican ale

S04 - English Ale

S33 - lager

They're all cheap and dry.

You can get some very specific wet yeasts too but they're quite expensive unless you plan to rinse than reuse.

Like these ones

hi guys only made a couple posts,mainly learning.

my last two brews i have fv in a aircon room,keep temps between 22 to 25. i am waiting on my stc 1000.

so first brew is

coopers premium trad draught,

coopers amber malt

pitched at about 30c ,was trying to get down with ice water

date fv 14/1/13 1.30pm og 1042

17/1 /13 ;1018

21/1/13 ;1010

25/1/13 gave the fv a bit of a shake up

28/1/13 ;1010

what you reckon blokes? going to keg my brews?

First brew looks ready to go, considering the SG, and the fact it didn't change from the 21 - 28. Apparently letting it sit a few days once the SG is at the minimum will do it no harm; I've been a bit impatient with that myself, but it should help it settle and make a better beer.

The second brew, I'd do as you did with the first, wait until the SG is around the same, give it a few days to make sure it's stable then give it a bit longer if you want, but no longer than about a week.

For a newbie, it looks like you're already on the right track.

Archived