Coopers Community

Pasteurising those little P droppers

guest1525228310

I do a batch of cider about once a month and have my latest ready to pasteurise this evening. Can not let it go until tomorrow or there could be issues.

Thought some might have an interest in how to pasteurise, set the carbonation level and sweetness and stop bottle bombs.

This way I get sweet, sparkling cider that the girls cannot get enough of.

Doing it while I watch the cricket.

ciderhouserules.jpg

I hope you, and others, wear PPE around those babies - if you visit our brewery, you will see staff in the bottling hall (which includes the pasteuriser) wearing appropriate clothing and safety glasses [rightful]

I hope you' date=' and others, wear PPE around those babies - if you visit our brewery, you will see staff in the bottling hall (which includes the pasteuriser) wearing appropriate clothing and safety glasses [rightful']

This is a most important point when undertaking pasteurisation at home. I have never had a mishap yet but work under the assumption it will happen one day. I wear a thick jacket, grinding mask and gloves. I hold the thick glass(plastic) lid of the pot between me and the bottles when taking in and out.

Another most important point is that you must ensure the bottles are not over carbed before you process them or you will have bombs. I know mine are right after 3 days and monitor one PET bottle. I test open a bottle on day 2(and recap) then another on day 3 right before processing.

Water in pot is heated to 88\xb0C and 10 bottles added and left nearly fully submerged for 10mins. Water temp drops to 64\xb0C.

This kills the yeast and locks in the sweetness and carbonation level I want.

Again it is important that there are no short cuts on safety. If bottles are overcarbed then open and recap before pasteurising. Wear safety equipment.

Hey John this has me intrigued. Can you please give a little more detail... Do you stop short of complete fermentation to get the sweetness you desire, then bottle and carb, then pasurise after 3 days??

Cheers

Mark

Exactly right Mark.

You can stop it where you want to get the degree of dryness sweetness desired. Around 1008 - 1010 is quite a popular level.

I prime with dextrose and find that about 3 days gives enough carbonation. I have one PET bottle sitting there that I check regularly and that tells me when the carbonation level is too my liking. Probably could leave them another day after that but I am a little heavy handed on the dextrose and also err on the side of caution. Never had even a cap leak or blow let alone a bottle bust. I bottle in the old heavy pickaxe brand stubbies.

I hope you' date=' and others, wear PPE around those babies - if you visit our brewery, you will see staff in the bottling hall (which includes the pasteuriser) wearing appropriate clothing and safety glasses [rightful']

pasteuriser at Cooper's? Carlsberg only?

pasteuriser at Cooper's? Carlsberg only?

Coopers Lager and Coopers Clear??

Our bright beers - Light' date=' Lager, Clear, 62, Birell, Carlsberg and Sapporo - have the honour of a trip through the pasteuriser.[/quote']

I am assuming that no kegged beer gets a shower.

What storage temperature guidelines does Coopers place on the handling of kegs and what would the shelf life be on those pasteurised beers if stored at ambient temperature? Does Coopers advise customers on the shelf life of any bottled beers?

Archived