Coopers Community

Fruit Salad Ale with Wyeast 1450 - confused

Khellendros13

Really confused right now.

I was intending to get my Fruit Salad Ale fermenting tonight, and I purchased some 1450 and 1056 Wyeast packs online.

The 1450 sounded like it may compliment the Fruit Salad Ale since I am not repitching any Coopers yeast. Now I am reading that these smack packs do not have enough yeast to ferment properly?

Wouldn't they have at least or more than the dry yeast sachet supplied with the beer kit? Can I use the dry yeast as a nutrient for the 1450?

Thanks

The Wyeast packs have 100 billion Yeast Cells but viability is dependant on freshness, 11g of dry yeast is about 180 billion and is more reliable/stable.

If I use a liquid yeast I always make a starter a day or two beforehand, this will increace cell quantity and also tell me that the yeast is ok to use. My last starter didnt fire so I had to add 2 packs of emergency dry yeast.

The other important thing to consider when using liquid yeast is adequate wort airation and nutrients.

Run your numbers through mr Malty to work out your pitching rate

Sorry, I thought you had already pitched it.

If you haven't yet made the wort then follow Graham's advice and make an appropriate starter.

However if the wort was made and you are ready to pitch, then it would be best to just pitch the pack

Hey K,

I think you'll be happy that you went with Wyeast. They really are a step up from the 7g Coop's yeast. Starter may seem like a pain in the arse but once you get the hang of it is no problem.

I do a 2 step starter. The first step is 1L wort (SG 1.040) then after the activity has settled down (1 or 2 days) I step it up with another 1L of the same wort and do the same procedure. Once your starter is complete you can etither ptch the whole lot into your brew or put it in the fridge to let the yeast settle out, decant most of the wort then shake up the remains and pitch.

You'll see activity in the FV in just a few hours!

BTW, I use a 4L pickle jar as my starter vessel. I don't have a stir plate but I do shake the shite out of it several times a day. This is important!

Another tip! you can make up your starter wort in bulk in advance. 4Lwater/400gDME bring to a boil then chuck it in the fridge until you need it.

PS, I'm using W1450 in my brewery these days. So far I've done 2 pale ales and a porter. I haven't sampled any yet. What I have found is that it does not clear well in the FV. Don't be too concerned about this. It will settle out with time.

Tell us how your's turns out!

Thanks Adam, I actually looked at that link before you posted, and ended up doing my starter in a similar way.

Canadian,

MrMalty said I needed a 2L starter to get the estimated 62billion yeast cells back up to around 200billion, so I made a 2L starter in an empty 4L water bottle, sanitised with bottle sanitiser.

Got it in the fridge now to settle out..maybe too early but oh well, wasn't really prepared, and it had 24 hours. Should still be better than the included dry yeast I think.

For the 2nd step, do you add 1L to the existing starter?

I am definitely wanting to just pitch the slurry, but I may just pitch the whole 2L as a top up to 21L, so I don't dilute my flavour.

I am guessing a splash of water mixed with the wort in the hydrometer test tube will still get me a close enough OG reading (if taken at 19L rather than 21L).

Weather seems mostly stable this week with indoors sitting at 22.5c where I will be keeping the FV...so keen to get it going tomorrow before any major ups and downs with the temps.

Thanks Adam, I actually looked at that link before you posted, and ended up doing my starter in a similar way.

Canadian,

Got it in the fridge now to settle out..maybe too early but oh well, wasn't really prepared, and it had 24 hours. Should still be better than the included dry yeast I think.

For the 2nd step, do you add 1L to the existing starter?

Hey K,

If you are planning to pitch the whole starter then you don't have to refridgerate. If you are planning to pitch within a day or so.

When I step-up the starter I begin with a 1L starter then I add more wort to the same starter, This can be a single step up with another 1L or you can do a multiple step-up by adding 500ml at a time.

• 3 weeks later...
What FG were you expecting?

I would be surprised if you got it down much further than 1011. It is probably finished rather than stalled.

I followed the recipe exactly, and only steeped the hops rather than adding them into the FV as I intended...I closed the lid and could not unscrew it even with help :|

So...whatever FG the recipe should reach. I used 1450 yeast with a starter. I know there are tools to calculate the expected OG/FG but they don't seem to have provisions for the kits.

I just tasted my sample from the fridge, it is a bit sweet still which has me worried, but that may go away with a month in the bottle I guess.

Hydrometer is bang on 1000 with tap water.

1 week in the bottle and it is cheering!

I took 1 bottle to a DnD session on Saturday and it was well received (above the Mex Cerv and Vanilla Pale Ale) despite 1 week in the bottle and only 1 day in the fridge.

Fruitiness without the sweetness, and probably a baseline bitterness for me.

First words my gf said when I made her take a sip..."mmm watermelon".

I see why you all like the APA kit with hops as a no fail beer.

Thanks for the tips/advice. 4th brew and finally genuinely happy.

Archived