Coopers Community

hoegarden

anthony

hi guys,

thought id let you know i bought a hoegarden brew kit on Saturday and had a crack at it.

so far its fermenting nicely in my fridge and smells unbelievable.

i used the blackrock wheat beer kit with cooriander orange zest and malt. really looking forward to this one. ill keep you posted.

og 1.041

today 1.025

sitting at 21c

Bet it was WB 06. If so watch the temperature. Go too far either side of 22 and you get either an explosion of cloves or banana that will take months to mellow. Hold her steady on 21\xb0C is the go.

spot on john wb 06.

tempis sitting nicely at 21-22 and it tastes great so far. i just took a sample and its sitting at 1010. ill suss it out tomorow and hopefully i can bottle pretty soon.

I struggle to get banana from WB-06; more cloves, bubblegum and a hint of nail polish. The Danstar Munich yeast seems to throw cloves and banana at elevated temps such as John suggested. [cool]

Also, more ester production tends to happen when under-pitching. [ninja]

Potential other yeasts to consider...

White Labs liquid yeasts WLP300, 320, 351, & even 380.

Just some more food for thought.

LINK.

Interesting that the Coopers Commercial Ale yeast throws obvious banana-like esters/flavours, but never gets mentioned in the Wheat beer conversation circles. [innocent]

Someone with good yeast preparation knowledge could certainly cross-cultivate aspects of it with other yeast strains to become a more viable wheat beer friendly yeast I'm sure.

Interesting. [cool]

CC

Thanks folks. i might try the Danstar Munich to start with.

It's cheap and cheerful[wink]

how underpitched would you suggest?

i was at a beerfest a few years ago and ther was one stall with the most amazing banana tasting beer.

Everyone was going up asking for pints of 'BananaBeer' which drove the brewer half crazy [biggrin]

haven't been able to find anything close to it since.

after 36 hours on 25 psi then 3 hours on 12psi the beer pours great, however the taste has a slight metallic taste to it :( not sure why, metallic might be the wrong word but it definitely has a taste to it

any thoughts ?

hopefully it gets better by next week

i have no words of wisdom on the taste side of it all im sure there are plenty of experienced ppl that can help you...i just wanted to congratulate you on your having a good old fashioned go, congrats Anthony[biggrin]

I can understand this happening to Phil because, based on his brewing soundtrack, his beer would be full of metal [devil]

I am pretty clueless when it comes to kegging but I will start off the questions. What was the condition of the keg? What did you use to clean it?

after 36 hours on 25 psi then 3 hours on 12psi the beer pours great, however the taste has a slight metallic taste to it :( not sure why, metallic might be the wrong word but it definitely has a taste to it

any thoughts ?

any thoughts ?

it will.. it's my understanding that to force carb, 30 PSI for 3 days then back to 12-15.. or.. ROSS Method for 90 seconds and back to 12-15.. However, in the small time Ive been kegging I find that they are always better after a week, regardless of Ross method or whatever...

Yob

ill wait about 1-2 weeks and feel you all in.

cheers

OK, I will just close my eyes and pretend you are a girl [lol]

Ill need a lot more beer for that hairy

At least you haven't dismissed it fully. Better start brewing [biggrin]

Archived