Coopers Community

Lager vs Ale Brewing: Differences & Outcomes

Hi guys.

Back in mid November a number of you guys (along with BillK) helped me with formulating my first true lager brew, that also coincided with being my first partial grain mash brew. I have recently begun sampling. [biggrin]

It was bottled on 7/12/2012 after a 3 week primary ferment. It is drinking very well. It's carbonation is coming along very nicely. Head retention is improving etc.etc..

My "Nooby" question is when pouring this beer from stubby to glass, I can almost pour it out entirely due to very little sediment. I just wanted to know if that lack of sediment in each stubbie is due to the extra week of primary ferment that lagers require, or because I started bottling the brew with the FV at approx 11-12\xb0C, or because of the Budvar yeast I used & it's attenuation properties. Or even all of the above?

The lager recipe I brewed, First Crack: True Brewed Lager (Post #17)

It's very smooth (as you would expect a decent lager to be), & the infusion of the Saaz hops & the way the lager ferment & the budvar yeast has subdued much of the spicyness of it's normal characteristic when brewed in Ales I have found quite interesting.

I'd be interested in thoughts & views. [cool]

Anthony.

My "Nooby" question is when pouring this beer from stubby to glass' date=' I can almost pour it out entirely due to very little sediment. I just wanted to know if that lack of sediment in each stubbie is due to the extra week of primary ferment that lagers require, or because I started bottling the brew with the FV at approx 11-12\xb0C, or because of the Budvar yeast I used & it's attenuation properties. Or even all of the above?[/quote']

Probably most of the above, except it would have more to do with the flocculation of the yeast rather than attenuation.

Clearing the beer in the FV by giving it extra time or crash cooling should result in less sediment in the bottle.

I'm glad you are enjoying your first lager. I haven't made one for a while, I will have to add one to my ever increasing to do list.

Hi Hairy. [happy]

Thanks for the reply.

Probably most of the above, except it would have more to do with the flocculation of the yeast rather than attenuation.

Clearing the beer in the FV by giving it extra time or crash cooling should result in less sediment in the bottle.

I'm glad you are enjoying your first lager. I haven't made one for a while, I will have to add one to my ever increasing to do list.

Excuse my poor brewing grammar, I did mean flocculation, not attenuation as you so rightfully corrected me Hairy. [rightful]

I can understand why you haven't brewed one in a while, I enjoy hoppy ales more anyways. I learned why most experienced home brewers brew lagers in winter too. Was a PITA during the summer & threw my whole schedule out of whack. [pinched]

The spalt hop is hard for me to judge it's effectiveness/impact as I've been slamming APA's/IPA type beers now non-stop for months. I suppose it has blended well due to the smoothness and ease of drinking the lager recipe has turned out to be. [happy]

I've learned a great deal from the process, & my next lager experiment will involve brewing a forward hopped ale brew under lager conditions. That won't be happening until the weather cools down though.

Australia Day, I'm gonna smash a heap of these lagers down! [lol]

Anthony.

Seeing as I've only brewed 2 brews, being pale ale and cider, I can't really give any insight. I'm not even anywhere near the "Nooby" level yet mate. [lol] But, I used to help "drink" my mates homebrew lager many years ago. And I was really impressed. So the lager is on my to do list as well. Although being in Western Australia, I will probably give that a crack around winter so I can keep the colder temperature stable. I have a hard enough time keeping ale temps stable.haha

Hi Adam.

Lusty I urge you to try this it's an awesome hoppy lager

You are absolutely right. That looks AWESOME! [cool]

Have you tried to brew anything like that yet?

Once a few of the new season hops are released, something with that mix is going in one of my FV's. [biggrin]

Good find Adam. [smile]

Anthony.

Archived